PRL - Autumnsky's next shrimp adventure

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Survived that adventure! Makes you wonder what in the heck was in the water change that killed so many.

For the PRL tank, I only use RO/DI now, remineralized. Seems a shame it is necessary, and can't just use the tap water for them in good conscious. Shrimp are much more delicate to things in their water. Such a sad event. I was so scared to even do a water change anywhere after that.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The shrimp seem to be really active and fluttering about. Feeling like there should be more babies in the future - the saddled females are getting ready!

Need to get that fenbendozole in there asap!

Not sure if anyone has already mentioned, but I really like "No Planaria" for treating my tanks when those [edit nasty] things show up. Ordered mine from GLA (link below).

I did have good luck with Safegard, too, but it sickened/killed my snails. The Nerites were dead in no time and the mystery snails weren't right for a few days after water changes and carbon in the filter.

Vacuum the hell out of everything you can in the tank to get rid of debris/mulm/etc.

No Planaria: No Planaria | Aquarium Disinfectant | Green Leaf Aquariums

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the info.

The tub they were in before didn't have substrate for 2-3 months. Now brand new substrate from 2 weeks ago, "squeeky" clean at this point. lol. The Planaria survived the disaster AND limited feeding AND both moves in tanks.

Already bought the Safe Guard. Hoping to use it tomorrow. Previously when used it was a small dose, but completely worked. Seemingly didn't bother shrimp, and snails they did well overall. Then also did not need to use the second dose often recommended. Maybe a lighter dose than you used.

Fingers crossed.

If any thing happens to those shrimp, it will be bad... :eek:

Alright, I am a slacker. Just dosed the Fenbendozole, diluted the meds to 10% solution and did 3CC/ml for the 12G tank - 1 ml for each 4 gallons.

Did a big super shaking to the bottle before dosing.

Removed the Purigen.

Treated with the 3ml in a few ounces of water, then as I watched it disperse into the water flow, one of the 2 Planaria which were cruising in plain sight went towards the lower bottom where the water was still clear.

I ran and got the trusty turkey baster to assist in getting hte treatment to the corner area too, faster, to kill the little bugger.

In the bursts of the turkey baster I lost track of that Planaria.

The Planaria at the top of the tank seemed to dodge back into the prefilter sponge from its previous location on the glass, where I hope it meets an early death - quickly!

I see another Planaria on the front glass now...

I had 2 pond snails cruising on the glass too, not sure where they went, lost track of them.

The shrimp were already fluttering all over the tank before treatment, they seem to be in high gear fluttering everywhere chasing each other and just in general being super active, like breeding behavior, I am hoping they are all right.

Fingers crossed.

FYI previous thread about treatment
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f129/planaria-and-hydra-liquid-treatment-243568.html

Eh, give it a couple of days and they should be gone. I saw no dramatic worm deaths when I used Fenbendazole (thinking of the old westerns where the bad guy gets shot and makes a bunch dramatic gestures before keeling over). I just saw the worms after that.
Always nice to see the shrimp hovering about the tank.

Treatment seems to be alright in the tank.

Tonight upon arriving home from work was 2 pond snails cruising on the glass.

Crystal clear water and shrimp all upside right / none upside down :)

Since I have been home and after the initial check, 2 more quick scans and do not see any Planaria.

Already got a hold of an previously acquainted shrimp seller and found out he has some premium PRL shrimp - SSS quality, waiting for some pics. And to find out about the cost for shipping or if it is included.

These would be a really nice breeding colony, but they are expensive. Not too crazy in cost but $15 each, depends on quality of shell if I would spring for them, or how many, and if they would be males and females, equal numbers or what.

Then the question is do I cull any presently populated shrimp from the tank or just start a whole new tank.

One option is if I picked out a few of the nice shrimp if there were any decent quality in my own presently to even be similarly close to SSS. Honestly I think there are mostly SS, Hinomaru and No entry and some S. Disappointed how I lost my better quality pattern ones.

One older shrimp has a small part discolored band which I understand can happen when they are elderly.

I am eternally hopeful, but also pretty critical in quality judgement. After looking at the pics of quality/grading charts, mine still look decent!

Adding a few higher quality shrimp could make it into a fun breeding project. Though that might lead into more aquariums... :p

Maybe put the lesser quality ones in the...
Thinking into the future Paludarium build?

Trying to remember that I just wanted to be able to see beautiful looking shrimp in the show tank and enjoy them! But why wouldn't I enjoy watching even more beautiful, finer quality shrimp having beautiful fine quality baby shrimp? :whistle: Hmmm?

Heard back from the seller regarding the PRL, cost would be plus shipping unless I buy 20, and at 15 each, no way get 20, too much for my budget - very nice looking shrimp.

I might try and get them, but the higher cost is making me shy on spending for the higher quality. 10 regular PRL beautiful, for under $100 including shipping. Or maybe 5 for the same price.

So double shrimp or better shrimp... I might be headed towards double shrimp maybe throw in a few better shrimp.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Today I do not see the Planaria anywhere still :) No dead shrimp.

They do look great but the appreciation is in the breeders extra effort and time creating the finer line.

But I think the S/SS PRL look good enough.

3 or 4 high quality ones - maybe, I think as a splurge I will get at least 2. Since I am not really doing a breeding program, common sense wise it doesn't make since to spend the money. But on the other hand these are direct off spring from a very highly rated world renowned breeder.

Yes, but I was hoping to avoid culling in the 12G Fluval Edge and just have it be a DT.

Trying to scoop out a specific shrimp is a major pain because of the angles and small opening in the top, lots of plants and DW.

If I were to use the Mr. Aqua 12G rectangle tank then it would be much easier to cull.

Shrimp were most all on the back of the large DW grazing so I fed the tank a small amount of powder food, Bacter AE and a piece of food. I have one Female which looks like it will have babies. Not sure where the other one or 2 berried F are hiding out, or if they had babies and they are gone. Although it is possible some are hiding, usually I can spot them even when they are so very tiny, barely visible.

Still no Planaria visible and the 2 pond snails are still alive.

Thinking on doing a pwc and one more treatment to be more hopeful of eradication.

Since I do not know the answer, I am wondering if I am killing off any BB and or aufwuchs , or just the worms.

Even if so, it would be better to be rid of Planaria and have to build the other back up.

I am hopeful still.

Just tossed in a chunk of canned no salt added green bean broken into 2 pieces.

The shrimp were peacefully grazing before hand and after within about 5 minutes they were moving around towards the pieces and started to flutter about again.

A local business/breeder of Dragon Plecos feeds gallons of these things- #10 canned green beans - to his bottom feeders and I have used them in the past.

Top side of tank, half green bean was walked on and probably taste tested.
Bottom on substrate green bean half, was walked near, and danced around, but sits looking untouched.

FYI-
On the other hand the 72G hand full of green beans have seen constant attention, and a brief rest by some and a return to nibble on the few remaining pieces.

The Wine glass got 2 halves of one chunk and they are covered in snails.

Same goes with the 5G - Spec V covered in every size color and shape of snail, including MTS 2 colors variations and more creeping their way over all afternoon!
I snapped a pic of that tank's snail "dog" pile, but not too sure i can get it to load.

So, maybe the green bean needs some time to decompose. Or PRL are waiting for something yummier (I am sure that is a real word if you are ever around small children). (y)

Back
Top Bottom