PRL - Autumnsky's next shrimp adventure

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think I saw on Steenfott Aquatics YouTube channel he fed a tank that was plecos, cherry shrimp, and guppies, cans of green beans.

I think I saw on Steenfott Aquatics YouTube channel he fed a tank that was plecos, cherry shrimp, and guppies, cans of green beans.

I imagine it can help with color for Green Dragons, but the Albino Green Dragons were not green!!! They went crazy for these.

The one green bean half in the Spec V is gone and they are on the second one now, in the 72G only have about 2 whole chunks and 2 hulls left out of maybe 15 chunks I threw in!

Substrate green bean half is still unattended and whole in the PRL tank.

Maybe try some Zucchini next time like Fresh.

Leaning toward ordering them - whatever number I can spend for them in my fun money budget. It isn't VERY much more than just their regular price, I was going to spend...
Yeah, I'm a sucka!

I dosed an additional amount of Fenbendozole.

Just to be sure they little buggers are gone, just in case any eggs are gonna hatch or however they make new ones, other than being chopped in half, :eek:

Saved enough to dose one or 2 more times if needed, I think I might do a couple water changes and then add a couple more doses.

If I am going to get the fancy pants shrimp I don't want there to be any Planaria to slow down breeding. These shrimp are from imported Nishiki Japan parents lineage.

There are really beautiful Ellen Wang lines and others too but I can never find them in stock.

Checking the piggy bank today/this week ;)

Wow!

I didn't have the correct container for shipping maybe sending tomorrow.

Dang, whether it was coincidental, or direct connection, neither is good.

Yeah. I only got two, so I don't think there's been a huge rebound in population or anything, but who knows. I think most likely is that this shrimp just succumbed to shipping stress.

Updating that in the past couple months there have been dire developments.

The planaria are seeminly gone. But the PRL shrimp died off over time.

Look perfect, just end up laying sideways and dead.

Water is good.

Chili Rasboras look good.

I am sick about it.

There was some fert additives.

The suspect and reported issues from using baby Mosura food is a possibility.

Wondering if the Planaria Fenbendozole killer killed off all the Aufwuchs and biofilm foods and they just died off. I feed them almost daily, say skip a couple feedings a week.

Changed the water change schedule to about 10 days and one gallon of 12G tank. Given that there are big stones DW and lots of substrate it would be at least a little less water volume.

I just do not know for sure what was going on.

Gut-wrenching and disheartening.

Overall I am going to think a little bit about what direction I would like to go from here.

By far one of the most exciting sites in my aquarium to just sit and watch are Dwarf shrimp. The PRL are definitely a project I adored. The cost is high to just lose them. Emotionally and financially.

I could just go with a high grade CRS, maybe less sensitive, but having the PRL being that they were special, painstakingly line bred and created to the little bits of living fine art that they are, was an additional layer of enjoyment for me.

So I just don't know - for now will think on it.

Wow, super sorry to hear that you lost your shrimp. :(. It does kick you in the backside when this sort of thing happens. I've had it occur in a small cube tank a couple of times. Makes me wonder if there aren't contagious shrimp diseases that we just don't have a good grip on treating. I see a LOT of medical products and 'health foods/supplements' for shrimp from Asian companies, but I don't have any idea how to parse the intentions and usage from the weak translations that sometimes come with the products. Equally frustrating to see other people just throw together a tank and get shrimp by the 100s.

Fenbendazole will kill a lot of protozoans, helminths, and nematodes. I'm sure there are components of aufwuchs that are killed by it, but I doubt it would kill everything. I don't use it in practice for killing bacteria, either. Hard to say.

I acclimated and transferred about 30 blue shrimp from an auction bag to one of my tanks last Saturday. I've seen only 2 of them after lights out . With the lights on, haven't seen a single one. NO clue where they're off to, or if they're even alive. So I feel your pain there...

Wish you the best of luck and planning as you decide what to do next.

Wow, super sorry to hear that you lost your shrimp. :(. It does kick you in the backside when this sort of thing happens. I've had it occur in a small cube tank a couple of times. Makes me wonder if there aren't contagious shrimp diseases that we just don't have a good grip on treating. I see a LOT of medical products and 'health foods/supplements' for shrimp from Asian companies, but I don't have any idea how to parse the intentions and usage from the weak translations that sometimes come with the products. Equally frustrating to see other people just throw together a tank and get shrimp by the 100s.

Fenbendazole will kill a lot of protozoans, helminths, and nematodes. I'm sure there are components of aufwuchs that are killed by it, but I doubt it would kill everything. I don't use it in practice for killing bacteria, either. Hard to say.

I acclimated and transferred about 30 blue shrimp from an auction bag to one of my tanks last Saturday. I've seen only 2 of them after lights out . With the lights on, haven't seen a single one. NO clue where they're off to, or if they're even alive. So I feel your pain there...

Wish you the best of luck and planning as you decide what to do next.

Thank you.

As for your shrimp, if you aren't seeing dead ones there is hope! Blue blends in really well.

Last week saw the one shrimp still. Must be a real tough one. I think I will order a new bunch in a month or 2 or when the weather gets better. Or might spent the overnight delivery fee, but rather get more shrimp...

This tank needs to be redone.

Needing a fresh start.

Do you have good water flow in the tank? Surface agitation? Run CO2? Bubbler of some kind?

Just about all of my blues died, and this time I’m certain. I believe it was due to high CO2 and low O2. Saw the fish gasping a couple times also.

Just another thought to try to figure out your trouble. My other thought is water hardness. Water too soft means not able to moult normally, which was another problem for me.

Do you have good water flow in the tank? Surface agitation? Run CO2? Bubbler of some kind?

Just about all of my blues died, and this time I’m certain. I believe it was due to high CO2 and low O2. Saw the fish gasping a couple times also.

Just another thought to try to figure out your trouble. My other thought is water hardness. Water too soft means not able to moult normally, which was another problem for me.

Yes pretty good flow, the filter is an AC 20 which optimum gp/h is 100 on the 12G Edge tank. also agitates the surface water especially because of so much evaporation, it is usually needing so refill water which is as a rule RO/DI for refilling evaporation.

Air bubbler was taken out when the tank was moved after re setting up but plenty of air coming in with the HOB, I think.

No CO2 or added Excel or ferts.

These specific PRL Caridina shrimp require low pH, (they are somewhat delicate line bred shrimp) the mineral content is supplemented with a couple of pieces of mineral stone for shrimp, and shrimp mineral powder additive used very sparingly. But with foods they eat to make sure their shells are fortified. Had not seen any molting issues in this tank.

A large assortment of varied diet of dwarf shrimp specific foods from trusted shrimp breeders - probably 15 different kinds. Listed way back in the middle of a bunch of the posts. Fed with appropriate amounts and occasional fasting. Regular water changes.

I love my shrimp. Sad of course they are basically gone. Thank you for asking questions, sometimes it can help to bring out /surface something
which hadn't been identified.

Thank you. Sorry to hear about your losses. It is frustrating and usually expensive when this happens. There is lots of learning to be done with water creature keeping and shrimp somewhat more so.

In regards to CO2, I have not yet been comfortable enough to spend the amount of time to set up a proper system.

For the PRL shrimp, I would not use it at all as they can be sensitive, because it is more so a feature needed by the plants rather than the shrimp and the Pure Red Line shrimp would not appreciate lots of additives for ferts and the fluctuations for the CO2.

It is an interest to use it sometime, atm, I don't have the time to learn it, monitor and run it.

I’m not surprised you’re so well versed and careful with your shrimp! Awesome job setting everything up for them. I wouldn’t change a thing, and mine aren’t that fastidiously card for, tbh.

I recently bought a chihiros aqua doctor to try out. Has a shrimp setting. Currently have it on the prevent algae setting in the regrowing tank. Should help with shrimp disease too. Seems to be working so far.

Thanks for taking so much time to write up your setup. That alone will be super helpful for other people reading.

Best wishes,
DTW.

Back
Top Bottom