goldfish show off.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Almost, mine were actually used as a centerpiece at a banquet. It was given to my sister because she was a waitress for the event. They (there's 2, the other is a common) were in a 2 gal bowl my dad had for a month or two before i got my 29 gal. It's been almost a year, but it looks like I'll finally be able to get them the proper size tank. It hasn't been easy. I was in high school when I got them, so $ has been a huge issue. Had I not been able to get the tank I'm getting now, I was gonna buy a 150 gal water trough and keep it in the corner of my room. I'm quite glad it didn't come to that

Wow that's an amazing story. It's sad how disposable fish are thought to be. Their beauty and cheap costs plays against them. That and we can pet them makes people not think of them as an animal such as dog or cat. But they are remarkable creatures with tremendous personalities.

They are lucky you got them.

I've read other postings which others have used tubs and such for goldfish.

However I would urge you to read up on cycling and GF. It's a huge tank and that helps but with breaking it down and scrubbing you are destroying the beneficial bacteria that convert the fish waste into less toxic forms. The filter helps with this. GF have huge bio loads meaning they produce a lot of waste because they don't have stomachs. This bacteria is not in water but attaches to solid surfaces including interior tub surface.

Algae growing in tub may help convert some toxins but trust me eventually the fish could become sick and/or die.

Just remember they are swimming in their own waste which is why a filter is required in a closed system which an aquarium or tub is.

Research cycling and goldfish filtration.

With those tweaks they will love the space.

Oh and I also wouldn't let horses drink from the tub.

Yeah, I have 3 tank in my house, one is cycling, one is for pond snails, and one is cycled since January :)

I understand that they have huge bio loads, but right now that is the only thing we can keep them in, and I don't like it, but for now it will have to do.
I would love to get them their own huge tank and keep it inside, but my parents are convinced that everything is fine the way it is. They think it's okay to keep one in a bowl, so, yeah.
I was thinking of setting up a 55G Mbuna tank next year but I should probably get a big tank with proper filtration for the goldies instead.
Now I need to find where I can get a 100G tank that won't cost me an arm and a leg, considering I'm not even old enough to get a job. :rolleyes:

Yeah, I have 3 tank in my house, one is cycling, one is for pond snails, and one is cycled since January :)

I understand that they have huge bio loads, but right now that is the only thing we can keep them in, and I don't like it, but for now it will have to do.
I would love to get them their own huge tank and keep it inside, but my parents are convinced that everything is fine the way it is. They think it's okay to keep one in a bowl, so, yeah.
I was thinking of setting up a 55G Mbuna tank next year but I should probably get a big tank with proper filtration for the goldies instead.
Now I need to find where I can get a 100G tank that won't cost me an arm and a leg, considering I'm not even old enough to get a job. :rolleyes:

Well, use what you have. If you move the horse tank to a patio or porch and add filtration you could make it a cool pond. Add pond fountain with filter and water lilies etc. search for other tub "ponds" and you may make a beautiful mini pond.

Well, the horse through is cement so I won't be able to move it LOL
We do have another horse trough (not sure of the size though) that I could probably fix the hole and put them in there, and buy a filter for it.

You can also buy Rubbermaid stock tanks at Tractor Supply (search results here). This is the container I'll use to build a bog filter for a 275 gallon galvanized stock tank in my back yard that I'm converting to a goldfish pond this spring. (This one is 60 gallons.) Laguna makes other sizes of containers suitable for fish also.

What I am saying is that if you do some extra chores and save a little money, there are options that won't break the bank.

Here's my 3 goldfish. Please go easy on them. :lol:

Attachments

• DSCI0288.jpg
    DSCI0288.jpg
    195.9 KB · Views: 246
  • DSCI0289.jpg
    DSCI0289.jpg
    205.1 KB · Views: 256
You can also buy Rubbermaid stock tanks at Tractor Supply (search results here). This is the container I'll use to build a bog filter for a 275 gallon galvanized stock tank in my back yard that I'm converting to a goldfish pond this spring. (This one is 60 gallons.) Laguna makes other sizes of containers suitable for fish also.

What I am saying is that if you do some extra chores and save a little money, there are options that won't break the bank.

Thank you! How many gallons would you suggest for the two I have? I was also thinking of getting one or two more, how large of a tank would I need then?

Thank you! How many gallons would you suggest for the two I have? I was also thinking of getting one or two more, how large of a tank would I need then?

For 2 HUGE comets, and thinking about 2 more, I wouldn't go less than a 100 gallon or 150. If those comets are really koi, then at least 100 gallons per fish, and for most people, that means going outside into a pond.

I see the Rubbermaid 150s all over the net starting at $139. The 100 gallons starting at around $80.

Or you could go the old fashioned way, and dig yourself a hole for a pond and get some pond liner. Ponds are a little pricier, but if you don't keep comets in an adequately sized aquarium like GoldsGuy, then they ought to be in a pond. (That's my opinion and I'm sticking with it.)

I love them - especially the ryukins, as I am just partial to them anyway. And your oranda is very pretty.

Thanks, I'm partial to them as well. After seeing all sorts of fancy goldfish I knew I had to have Ryukins.

For 2 HUGE comets, and thinking about 2 more, I wouldn't go less than a 100 gallon or 150. If those comets are really koi, then at least 100 gallons per fish, and for most people, that means going outside into a pond.

I see the Rubbermaid 150s all over the net starting at $139. The 100 gallons starting at around $80.

Or you could go the old fashioned way, and dig yourself a hole for a pond and get some pond liner. Ponds are a little pricier, but if you don't keep comets in an adequately sized aquarium like GoldsGuy, then they ought to be in a pond. (That's my opinion and I'm sticking with it.)

The comets are about 8 inches or so. I'm thinking they are not koi, because they don't have the longer fins or coloring.
If I dug a hole and put in a pond liner, is that all I would need? I think that would look a little nicer then a horse trough sitting around. Then I could put a filter and some large rocks in the bottom and there would be room for a heater in the winter..

We have a pond section in the forum.

Start a post there, and ask all the questions you need to...

Back
Top Bottom