Ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lil_is_me_2001

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys !!!
I'm thinking about starting an outside pond in my front yard, nothing too big but still decent enough to have fish and maybe even an aquaponics system. Please respond with pictures and information on how to start a pond/good fish and plants for it/setup details !!!
Thanks so much

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

An above ground pond is easier to build, just look at my pond build thread and when I started this journey. If I was more diligent our didn't have so many projects it might be complete.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Check YouTube, you can find step by step instructions.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1438399280.548345.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1438399309.568124.jpg

Forgive the net I live where there are heron and they like to steal fish.

Mine is about ~1000 original hole is about 12 years old but had to replace the liner 5 years ago.

I have a 2500 GPH pump that flows into filter and uv light. Filter material has evolved over the years now using 3 layers of foam and bio balls.
Do not use in pond filtration! First 2 years I had this running I used this method and the work I did out weighed the having a pond tbh.

PH is a 5.5(not ideal for goldfish but they breed every season). Plants are local dunes, lilly pads, and water iris.

I used two layers of landscaping timbers to edge it out instead of rocks, liner is held in place between the two layers.

Have kept koi that I would sell to local golf club when they reached a foot and buy new but switched back to just goldfish(again heron lol)

Current stock is 3 years old.

Sure there are prettier ponds but still love mine lol.

Plant a tree next to your pond that will cover it eventually and it should help with the herons. Still use the net during the winter when the leaves are off

Plant a tree next to your pond that will cover it eventually and it should help with the herons. Still use the net during the winter when the leaves are off

I have a cottonwood tree that shades almost my entire back yard. Half my property is wetlands think I am just doomed lol.

I just built one last summer and it is awesome to sit by and watch the fish and listen to the waterfall. It's 3000 gallons and the deepest part is 4ft deep. This depth allows the fish to survive through the winter even if the surface freezes, the waterfall ensures that there's always a spot with no ice covering. I was having a problem with birds getting fish as well, but enough plants for cover and they stopped getting them. Be careful planting trees too close to the pond as their roots can puncture the liner and then you will only have a hole.
100179-albums14358-picture69083.jpg

Back
Top Bottom