Is my ryukin goldfish ok in a 5 gallon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm not a huge fan of the Penguins, but for that much of a price difference I can understand why you'd buy one. They work perfectly well, I just don't like the cartridges. You can make your own, though, and save money on buying them in the long run. The Penguin is going to be louder than the Aquaclear, if that is a concern.

29 gallon would be a great size for your goldfish. However, I disagree about the sense of urgency in this thread. Is the fish in an inappropriately sized tank? Yes, of course, and I'm not disputing that. But you mentioned that you do a lot of water changes, and if you change enough water in my experience you can squeak by for a while without causing harm to the fish. Obviously you need to upgrade the tank, but the tone of some of the posts here is "OMG your fish are definitely going to die really soon!" and I just don't think that this is probably the case based on the information you've given.

Noise is a concern for me, I have a AC 50 and it's nice and quiet. What I'm worried about is the fish getting stunted, I REALLY don't want that to happen. This is my fav fish I've ever had, don't wanna take any chances. I've found a 30 gal tank with stand on Craigslist and I think it comes with the lights, hood, decor, gravel, and filter all for $40. It's a little over an hour away so I might not be able to get it.

I have the penguin 350 and I do like it actually does a pretty good job and its pretty quiet.

I have the penguin 350 and I do like it actually does a pretty good job and its pretty quiet.

Hmm, well I like my AC and I'd rather spend the extra $20 on a good filter rather than get a cheap filter I don't like.

If you already like the Aquaclear filters, you'll probably be happier with the 70.

I would pick that up looks like a good deal what type of filter does it come with?

I would pick that up looks like a good deal what type of filter does it come with?

I'm not sure yet, we're gonna call the number tomorrow and see the details. It just says tank with stand but I'm sure it would include the hood, lights, and everything in the picture.

I hope the seller is gonna be honest about everything, I really don't want a leaky or cracked tank.

I hope it works out for you!

Thanks!

My mom thinks its strange to have to have 30 gallons for a single fish. I find it sort of strange too. Is there any other fish I can put in there? Maybe another Goldie to keep him company?

Thanks!

My mom thinks its strange to have to have 30 gallons for a single fish. I find it sort of strange too. Is there any other fish I can put in there? Maybe another Goldie to keep him company?

Another goldfish means that you need a bigger tank with even better filtration. Goldfish are extremely messy fish. My boyfriend and I have one shubunkin goldfish in a 55g tank. We also have one red bristlenose pleco in there. That's all. Just with those two fish, we have two AC70 filters.

Maybe you could keep 1 rubber lip pleco with him but that's probably pushing it. I really don't know goldfish bioloads.

It's confusing, some places say 20 gals per fish and then 10 gals per other fish. What about Cory's or something? Or do they need completely different temps?

I wouldn't do cories honestly I don't think you really could put anything else with him besides maybe snails?

I wouldn't do cories honestly I don't think you really could put anything else with him besides maybe snails?

Sigh, it just seems weird my goldfish in a huge tank all by himself. Seems like there is more potential there :/

Sigh, it just seems weird my goldfish in a huge tank all by himself. Seems like there is more potential there :/

At first I thought that too about one goldfish in a 55g. The color and their size over time though really stands out and seems to fill the tank. Especially our shubunkin against our moderately to heavily planted tank. They grow fairly quickly in adequate space.

Fantastic- that's a 30 long (6 inches longer than a 29). I'd pick that up tomorrow if I were local. ;)

30 long is getting harder to find unless you're buying used or special ordering.

I'm hoping to get it very soon if it's everything I think it is, hood, lights, etc.

We contacted the owner today and it comes with everything in the picture except the filter. I'll just pick up an AC 70. We're probably going to get it tomorrow. :D

That's great! Looks like you are going to save a lot of money over buying the tank new (and get a cooler tank IMO). :)

Back
Top Bottom