Is my ryukin goldfish ok in a 5 gallon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yup. White clouds are known by a few names (danios and minnows). They are great for a goldfish tank, from what I've read.

Thanks. I might be going by petsmart today and will get some if they have any.

I'm curious, if a fish is stunted then moved to an appropriate tank, can it recover?

I'm certainly no expert, but this is what I have observed in the several months I have being keeping fancy goldfish, which I hope may help in the discussion:

1. A few months ago, I adopted one of my sister's fish, Goldie, from a 25L tank. He would now be double the size of the other fish that remained in the tank. He was in that tank for at least a few months before I took charge of him.

2. In Nov., I rescued 3 other little guys who were very thin and small, from a 15L tank (but only filled about halfway!). The owner said he had them for a year, but I am very dubious about that. Within a couple of weeks, one of the fishies had started growing in leaps and bounds; the other two are growing but much more slowly.

3. The stunted fish I have seen usually have thin, small bodies and large tails in proportion to their bodies, compared to non-stunted fish.

4. I think what has helped the little guys I have adopted are:
- Larger tanks.
- A much greater water changing routine.
- A more varied diet.

I hope the OP can find a tank and his/her sweet little fish can thrive.

R

I'm certainly no expert, but this is what I have observed in the several months I have being keeping fancy goldfish, which I hope may help in the discussion:

1. A few months ago, I adopted one of my sister's fish, Goldie, from a 25L tank. He would now be double the size of the other fish that remained in the tank. He was in that tank for at least a few months before I took charge of him.

2. In Nov., I rescued 3 other little guys who were very thin and small, from a 15L tank (but only filled about halfway!). The owner said he had them for a year, but I am very dubious about that. Within a couple of weeks, one of the fishies had started growing in leaps and bounds; the other two are growing but much more slowly.

3. The stunted fish I have seen usually have thin, small bodies and large tails in proportion to their bodies, compared to non-stunted fish.

4. I think what has helped the little guys I have adopted are:
- Larger tanks.
- A much greater water changing routine.
- A more varied diet.

I hope the OP can find a tank and his/her sweet little fish can thrive.

R

Thanks for this info. The issue has been solved for about a month now and I'm glad to say my fish is growing fatter every day :) He looks quite healthy. I'm also starting to train him to do tricks with the R2 Fish School Kit!

Your gold I looks amazing and much much happier in that bigger tank! I'm so happy you did the right thing and got him a bigger tank! Hope to see more pictures too!

Your gold I looks amazing and much much happier in that bigger tank! I'm so happy you did the right thing and got him a bigger tank! Hope to see more pictures too!

He's gotten much bigger now, and the minnows are about to have some fry. I'll post some pics soon.

Hello

Yeah Wyatt is right. 5gallons is too small long term. He needs a much bigger tank. 29gallons would do him v.well on his own. But if you want to get him a friend maybe think about investing in a 40 gallon minium. I have an Oranda and a Black Moor in a 40gallon and its nice to see them swim together. Also if you do decied later to invest in a bigger tank and get another goldfish with the picture i can see of your goldfish go for another fancy type rather than a comet or standard goldfish. They will have same swim speed so will eat well together and not compete for food. Common goldfish can be slightly aggressive toward fancies depending on sex and faster swimmers. Good Luck

Hello

Yeah Wyatt is right. 5gallons is too small long term. He needs a much bigger tank. 29gallons would do him v.well on his own. But if you want to get him a friend maybe think about investing in a 40 gallon minium. I have an Oranda and a Black Moor in a 40gallon and its nice to see them swim together. Also if you do decied later to invest in a bigger tank and get another goldfish with the picture i can see of your goldfish go for another fancy type rather than a comet or standard goldfish. They will have same swim speed so will eat well together and not compete for food. Common goldfish can be slightly aggressive toward fancies depending on sex and faster swimmers. Good Luck

Thanks for that info.

Back
Top Bottom