Is my ryukin goldfish ok in a 5 gallon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well here it is!

image-3716432736.jpg

I'll add some live plants in the future, and maybe get a new background or just seal the current one with clearview. I'll buy a new light fixture this week too.

Thanks for your help everyone! My fish looks happy and I hope he grows into the big, fat fish he's supposed to be!

He will it looks great! I would still add a bio bag for the time being just so he doesn't have to go though a cycle. He looks like he loves his new home and all that room though.

He will it looks great! I would still add a bio bag for the time being just so he doesn't have to go though a cycle. He looks like he loves his new home and all that room though.

Yep, he looks happy! I might even get him a friend sometime.

And yes, I have both bio bags in the AC 70 right now. I'll leave em both then move my media back to the AC 50.

Yep, he looks happy! I might even get him a friend sometime.

And yes, I have both bio bags in the AC 70 right now. I'll leave em both then move my media back to the AC 50.

Don't get him a friend until you upgrade to at least a 55 gallon. I would say you might be able to get away with a small school of 6 White Cloud Mountain minnows or 1 rubberlip pleco not both. The pleco is really pushing it I would stick to the minnows if you really want anything else. But don't overstock your goldfishs home to bad or you will be in the exact predicament you were in before of needing a bigger tank.

But your fish is looking great!

Don't get him a friend until you upgrade to at least a 55 gallon. I would say you might be able to get away with a small school of 6 White Cloud Mountain minnows or 1 rubberlip pleco not both. The pleco is really pushing it I would stick to the minnows if you really want anything else. But don't overstock your goldfishs home to bad or you will be in the exact predicament you were in before of needing a bigger tank.

But your fish is looking great!

I've heard so many sources saying 2 in a 30 is fine. I even ran it up on aqadvisor.com and that said it was fine. As much as I'd like another ryukin I think I'd be fine with the minnows though.

Aquadvisor really isn't that good of a tool IMO and I know I have seen those sources to but I think a large 8 inch goldfish really needs 20-25 gallons a piece.

Aquadvisor really isn't that good of a tool IMO and I know I have seen those sources to but I think a large 8 inch goldfish really needs 20-25 gallons a piece.
Ok, I'll see about some of those minnows next time I go to the pet shop. Are they easy to find at petsmart?

Yah petsmart always Carrys them usually they have them labeled under feeder fish but they are a cool looking active little fish. I would just get a little group of 6 and your tanks maxed out.

IMO there are some Corydoras (aeneus being just one example) that prefer cooler water than a lot of tropicals and should do ok with your goldfish, if you are more interested in catfish.

IMO there are some Corydoras (aeneus being just one example) that prefer cooler water than a lot of tropicals and should do ok with your goldfish, if you are more interested in catfish.

Won't the blasting sand I have hurt them?

Yah petsmart always Carey's them usually they have them labeled under feeder fish but they are a cool looking active little fish. I would just get a little group of 6 and your tanks maxed out.

I'll check em out!

Great question, I had forgotten about the blasting sand. If it's not smooth, I would not keep Corydoras on it. Wow, sorry about that!

That's ok, I think I'll get white cloud mountain minnows like josh7 suggested.

I've done some research on the blasting sand and cories. I believe it will be fine, I've also run my hands all through it and it felt fine. So I'm thinking 6 mountain minnows, and 4 cories.

I've done some research on the blasting sand and cories. I believe it will be fine, I've also run my hands all through it and it felt fine. So I'm thinking 6 mountain minnows, and 4 cories.

I would go for either 6 mountain minnows or 6 cories.

I just feel like the tank would be overstocked you could make it work if you commit yourself to doing weekly 50 percent water changes and make sure you don't miss any. You could do a stock of

1- Ryukin
6- Mountain Minnows
6- Peppered Cory's they do good in water of 70-76 degrees.

I just feel like the tank would be overstocked you could make it work if you commit yourself to doing weekly 50 percent water changes and make sure you don't miss any. You could do a stock of

1- Ryukin
6- Mountain Minnows
6- Peppered Cory's they do good in water of 70-76 degrees.

I could do that, but could I just do 4 Cory's?

Back
Top Bottom