Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-12-2013, 04:39 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nytelighter View Post
I know the feeling. I got my order from BulkReefSupply yesterday. Got 20lbs of Fiji Pink Sands and 20lbs of Reef Saver Rock. Let me know when your skimmer comes in.
I got the skimmer and put it together. I've got to make some adjustment and then I'll post a pic of where it'll go. I'm setting the tank up with just different equipment placments so I can get a configuration I'll be happy with. Stay tuned...

Building a reef is like going back in time and being 5 years old at Christmas!
Pisces3473 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 05:02 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
I would have drilled the 40b and installed a glass holes overflow. To late to do this? It's super easy.

Old 04-12-2013, 05:09 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Not to late, but this tank is in my office and I don't want to do a sump/refugium. I ordered the skimmer online and now I know what it was discounted so heavily, it's got some minor chipped edges but otherwise it's fine. If I lived closer I'd invite you over to help, but as I recall you're on the east coast?

Old 04-12-2013, 06:45 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice FINatic

1st set up

Here's a pic of the first set-up I may use. Tank, In-Tank Skimmer, one dual fan circualtion fan, and a thermometer. I may do an HOB filter but have not decided, I still need to paint the back, which I may do this weekend.

Tips and advice appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	40b 1.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	224.4 KB
ID:	166987  

Old 04-13-2013, 08:59 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I painted the tank today and got all the equipment put in place. I think this is the set up I'm gonna go with of course I need to get another light but I know what I'm gonna get already, so it's just a waiting game at this point.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1509269144.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	107.9 KB
ID:	167281  

Old 04-14-2013, 02:51 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Activist

Nice progress!!! What light did you plan on going with?
Old 04-14-2013, 03:44 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice Addict

The black background will really make all the colors pop real nice. I'm using the Fiji pink sand and you'll notice after awhile the larger pieces of pebbles working their way to the top which makes the sand appear dirty.
Old 04-15-2013, 12:45 AM   #28
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Thanks! I'm going a bit slower, this is my second tank. I've got to move my 10g it's where my 40 is going to be. I'll be keeping both going, and keeping them right next to each other. I'm gonna make the move this week so I'll be doing a quick rearrange. That will be a fun and nerve racking

I'm planning on going with a Tao 120 dimmable. They're about $165 and I've got one already, I love it, it's got plenty of power, and 54Seaweed has one over his 40b, says it's perfect at about 15"s above the surface. It's a great light, X recommended and I'm glad I listened. He's given me some other advice that I haven't taken, I'm sure I'll regret it in the future, but sometimes you gotta learn on your own...

I like the FIji Pink, it's what I've got in my 10g, I'll be going with that, besides it's what the LFS has and I like it too, it's just sand after all.

Old 04-15-2013, 10:01 AM   #29
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pisces3473 View Post
Thanks! I'm going a bit slower, this is my second tank. I've got to move my 10g it's where my 40 is going to be. I'll be keeping both going, and keeping them right next to each other. I'm gonna make the move this week so I'll be doing a quick rearrange. That will be a fun and nerve racking.

I'm planning on going with a Tao 120 dimmable. They're about $165 and I've got one already, I love it, it's got plenty of power, and 54Seaweed has one over his 40b, says it's perfect at about 15"s above the surface. It's a great light, X recommended and I'm glad I listened. He's given me some other advice that I haven't taken, I'm sure I'll regret it in the future, but sometimes you gotta learn on your own...

I like the FIji Pink, it's what I've got in my 10g, I'll be going with that, besides it's what the LFS has and I like it too, it's just sand after all.
Slow is the way to go, no sense in getting overwhelmed.

Those 2 give great advice. I've heard nothing but good stuff about those taotronics 120's, thats what I'll be upgrading to when the time comes.

It's what my lfs had also, I just hate that it looks dirty is all. Hopefully you'll post up lots of pics so we can follow your progress.
Old 04-16-2013, 08:04 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice Activist

Glad to see everything coming together nicely for you. I was thinking about getting one of those Tao dimmables as well. I have a Coralife 4 Bulb T5 that I'm going to hang over it until I make up my mind. I'm getting in on the BRS group buy next week so I can pick up a couple more items. Looking to score some savings on a return pump and skimmer.

Tags
40 gallon, breed, breeder

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com