55 gallon slow'n'steady tank- stocking ideas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Your going to run your lights for 18 hours a day? Might not be a great idea you will end up with a ton of algae.

What would be ideal to keep my tiny patch of dark purple red corraline healthy? In the middle if my tank on top of the pile, AND it has a little baby anemone sprouted on it!

The 18 hour idea was from a lfs employee lmao, go figure.

Keep calcium between 380 and 480 and alk between 8.4 and 12. Spread and grow with these two scrape some off a rock snail shell or such to help spread faster. Reason I said cal and alk is cus one will effect the other. Test before you add anything and keep testing after that. 2 part solution is easy. More corals you add to will start to deplete these also. Easy those!!

Never mind these questions I placed my order :)
-kent reef salt
-dr Tim's first defense conditioner
-algae flip magnet scraper

I also found the KH/CA/PO tests in a supply box I got with the tank!
KH: 196 (actually did it twice, I noted 10 and 12 drops)
CA: 400
PO: 0.0 ppm

{original post}Yay thanks for that advice-- does API make the best tests for both of those?

Placing an order tonight or tomorrow online. Any other bottled type things I could order or meds that I should have on hand?

And what is the best best brand reef salt in your opinion(s)? I'm trying to get a grip of it so I don't run out as I already have..

Keep calcium between 380 and 480 and alk between 8.4 and 12. Spread and grow with these two scrape some off a rock snail shell or such to help spread faster. Reason I said cal and alk is cus one will effect the other. Test before you add anything and keep testing after that. 2 part solution is easy. More corals you add to will start to deplete these also. Easy those!!

Hmmm so am I missing the alk test?

I found one for KH, calcium and phosphate

I use API for calcium but seanalysis for alk. Idk how far the seanalysis ships there out of Tampa. Sailfert or red sea would be better little more cash. Two part I use oceans blend again maybe hard to fine. Some use bionic a/b whatever you use try to stick with that don't mix different ones. Salt I use ocean water right out of the inlet.Dr gs has good salt check out website. Again mostly east coast, heard good things about io reef crystal and red sea pro.

Help: do i do an actual water change(my first WC since I filled it actually) as it appears at least 5-10 gallons have evaporated and there is a one inch gap below the top of the tank and my waterline. Or do I top off with RO water? With or without prime? I still need to order filters for my RODI filter as well as a GH and alk test kit.

Today's testing:

Amm: 0.0
NO2: 0.0
NO3: 0.0
PH: 8.0
Salinity 1.024
Ca: 400ppm
Po: 0.0
KH: 143.2 (down!! Was 196 on 1/16)

Here is the salt I am using, it is what my lfs uses so I figured I buy my livestock there so stick with their type of salt.

Attachments

• image-901205988.jpg
    image-901205988.jpg
    231 KB · Views: 60
Have you had an ammonia spike? You only top off with rodi water for evaporation. If you have no livestock than don't do a water change till your cycle is done than start doing changes

I do have a sailfin Molly. I had him in the tank for 2weeks and never tested the water bc my kit was in the mail.

My first test had 0.0 amm and no2 and 5.0 ppm no3 I think. So the same day(cycle day 15) I added a bottle of BB called dr. Tim's one and only, since then no spikes of amm or no2 and I've tested 2 times.

Kinda been busy, I need to get a better schedule with my testing but I have been painting my house :)

So my water tested 0.0 amm/ 0.0 No2/ 0.0 NO3 and same ph, 8.0. This is day 16 of fish in but just added dr Tim's 24 hours ago

Spec. G up to 1.022.

Did the dr Tim's affect my No3 or was it the chaeto? Can I get some CUC inverts or let it ride a bit longer? I'm seeing diatoms today.

Tommy: Yes I surely ignored that advice, I was cutting corners but learned my lesson.

Here, so the evap probably raised my specific gravity to the current 1.024. Should I mix up more water at 1.024 and do a 10% WC? Adding extra to fill my tank to the top again?

Heya, didnt know you have a thread on your build :) what was your specific gravity before? If you think it raised it up a bit you need to top it off with ro water to basically dilute your tank and SG will go back to the normal.

Yes you should and top off your tank every day with ro water

Everyday, good tip! I had been adjusting the 2 powerheads and when it was nearly full they would almost spill water so I gotta find a sweet spot

I just found out my uncle uses a spare above ground pool at his massage retreat in Mexico to breed tropical fish and sells to local shops in the Yucatan.

Weird.. Thanks for the news mom, how can I get into the biz and get some extra cash for this auto top-off and sump and RODI filters and.....

New additions!!!

Lawnmower blenny, huge sand sifting type of snail, four chromis :)

I need to get the right refills for this spectra pure RODI system, any suggestions for best prices and shipping?

Attachments

• image-697281521.jpg
    image-697281521.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 99
  • image-2428661544.jpg
    image-2428661544.jpg
    189.5 KB · Views: 66
  • image-2545832907.jpg
    image-2545832907.jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 70
  • image-4277934723.jpg
    image-4277934723.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 105
Why not just get them from spectra pure? They are based out of Tempe AZ one of the guys in our local forum works for them

Thanks- i need the filters for this unit soon, not sure what quantity is good for a year?

Back
Top Bottom