55 gallon slow'n'steady tank- stocking ideas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
with overflows - do you have to have the mag 7 for return pump or can it be any pump that's 700pgh ? That mag 7 seems a little pricey

Would something like this work? WP700 Water Pump
Get the water circulation you need for your freshwater aquarium, marine / reef setup, or pond. Works great for wet/dry (in-sump) filters.
Features:

• Dimensions - 7.00" x 3.50" x 6.50"
  • 700 gallons per hour (GPH)
  • Max water lift - 9 ft
  • Uses 3/4" tubing
  • 65W power wattage
  • Submersible
  • Includes sponge to prevent clogs (submersible mode)
  • Includes removable platform with suctions cups for stability
  • Hosing not included

700 GPH Aquarium Pond Water Pump Submersible Fountain Sump Return Wet Dry | eBay

Good, appreciate it guys. I got lots of rock variety from a couple different shops. I think dolphin (my lfs goin out of biz this month) had just put the display rocks from their empty tanks out the last day I went in, good range of dead corals and different textures.

I think the tall piece was bothering me until I made the "mountain" taller

I appreciate comments as I learn! Sadly my blenny passed this morning, I was adding salt to raise my specific gravity and I must have shocked him .

Thanks for that info I am dying to add a refugium but need to get my head into it

^ same here. Sorry to hear about your blenny... always mix salt outside the DT in a spare bucket/containter :/

So my water tested 0.0 amm/ 0.0 No2/ 0.0 NO3 and same ph, 8.0. This is day 16 of fish in but just added dr Tim's 24 hours ago

Spec. G up to 1.022.

Did the dr Tim's affect my No3 or was it the chaeto? Can I get some CUC inverts or let it ride a bit longer? I'm seeing diatoms today.

Tommy: Yes I surely ignored that advice, I was cutting corners but learned my lesson.

Would something like this work? WP700 Water Pump
Get the water circulation you need for your freshwater aquarium, marine / reef setup, or pond. Works great for wet/dry (in-sump) filters.
Features:

[*]Dimensions - 7.00" x 3.50" x 6.50"
[*]700 gallons per hour (GPH)
[*]Max water lift - 9 ft
[*]Uses 3/4" tubing
[*]65W power wattage
[*]Submersible
[*]Includes sponge to prevent clogs (submersible mode)
[*]Includes removable platform with suctions cups for stability
[*]Hosing not included

700 GPH Aquarium Pond Water Pump Submersible Fountain Sump Return Wet Dry | eBay[/QUOT

Looks like the same specs as the mag 7 check out dr fosters and smith they had it for around $60-70 bucks.

Is it possible that my cycle is really finished already?

Dr Tim's is a bacteria in a bottle thing, I heard many good things and a lfs employee busted out a graph of his tanks parameters for 30days after he added it and it was an instant flatline. :)

I'm usually skeptical and toss any bb packets I get with substrate. Anyway this arrived wrapped in ice bags and I think it worked pretty good.

There is a chance my cycle was basically complete before I even got to add the dr. Tims or test my water, because I had had the Molly 15 days by the time my drip kit arrived, and almost 1/3 live rock in the tank. The test I took before I added any bb was zero ammo, zero no2 and less than 5 ppm no3.

I suppose having the live rock is similar to using filter material from an established tank to cycle a new tank, am I right?

Decided to get some snails and a peppermint shrimp or two.

I'm going to switch salt to another brand than what my lfs sold me but I think perhaps since they use the same mix I should finish stocking my tank before trying a new brand(they sold me this stuff I can't find online.. Trixy)

I got 6 snails and a star, not bristle star but I totally forgot its name. Very pretty green-grey like a tropical snake. Otherwise a bit creepy, tbh.

Three black snails, no short term memory, one turbo snail, one sand snail (narcissus snail? Teeny lil guy) and the other snail that is white with a bumpy spiney shell. Lol totally exhausted. I just finished acclimating everybody, including a pair of red cherry shrimp for my planted tank.

I would like to feed them all as I'm terrified of snails starving after the diatoms are gone, and I he conflicting opinions about stars in new tanks.

Either they are great for keeping the sand bed moving and safe, or they are inappropriate for an immature sand bed? Well. I was told hermits are "sorta Richards" by the kid at dolphin pet village.

Depends on what type of starfish you have. Some are easy and some are more shall I say delicate.most will eat meaty foods and cruise around at night. Here's a star serpent easy to keep and meat eater.

Attachments

• image-1337648436.jpg
    image-1337648436.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 92
Depends on what type of starfish you have. Some are easy and some are more shall I say delicate.most will eat meaty foods and cruise around at night. Here's a star serpent easy to keep and meat eater.

That's what he is! Thanks, I was blanking. Here's a pic of his little leg I spotted this morning:

Attachments

• image-299455295.jpg
    image-299455295.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 84
Serpent star- really good little hitchhiker- you'll barely see him and he will take care of food and detritus in the crevices of your live rock and usually will leave your corals alone as long as it isn't starving for food!!

That's such a cool look at night for that serpent star. I am thinking about getting one but I already have a sand sifting star that moves all around my sand bed in my 55g , mostly in the front though from what i've noticed. Looks neat!

Nice looking leg! The green,gold and lite green looks awesome on it. Get one Tommy! Mines always out but my brittle star is more secluded only in middle of the nite does it venture out.

He is teasing me... Now I snapped TWO legs lol

Thanks too I really like his colors. Very neat little dude

Attachments

• image-4184370240.jpg
    image-4184370240.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 78
  • image-3388995030.jpg
    image-3388995030.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 66
He's becoming more comfortable with your tank :) you're lucky, that is an awesome hitchhiker!! I had one, I think he is still in my sand bed, but I haven't seen him since he surprisingly crawled out of a dead live rock one day.

Yay I really like him! My snails are semi active, one is scooting around the glass already. My diatom bloom is in full effect!

I got lucky with some dark red-purple corraline on a piece of lr so I switched my lamp back to a 4 bulb T5HO, though 18 hours per day of that fan might make me a little insane.

Much bluer and prettier I think :)

Attachments

• image-596334960.jpg
    image-596334960.jpg
    160.9 KB · Views: 70
Back
Top Bottom