55G Build, First Timer, Need Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh, and as far as power heads, I know it's overkill by 100x, but I have 2 800gph ph in my 40g, and 1 1300gph and 1 800gph ph in my 75g.

Oh and as far as the overflow goes, after doing a bit more research, I think I'm going to shoot for 800gph. A little overkill? Maybe, but that's kind of my style lol

Though that's always subject to change.

Update! I've listed some questions in bold, if you care to help me out with any of them please do! :thanks:

I'm getting ready to take the plunge, but I'm still testing the waters :D

I've decided that if I'm going to do this, I'm going to get myself a new tank. I went to my lfs, and waited around patiently for their most knowledgeable employee.

The limiting factor for me is the length, as I really only have the space for a 48" tank, so after talking to him I'm going to go with a 75 gal. The tank is brand new, and includes a built in overflow, stand, glass canopies, and quad T5HO's (with timer), all for 600. Does this seem like a good deal to you guys? It did to me, but maybe it's just my naivete.

Also, he recommended that I get a wet/dry filter, rather than recommending a sump. I kind of forgot to ask him why, but what are your thoughts on this? Specifically, he recommended this wet/dry:

Living Color 150 Gallon Wet-Dry

He also told me to hold off on the protein skimmer, at least for now. He said it might do more harm than good at the start, but that later on it would certainly become a necessity. Thoughts?

He also strongly recommended that I start off with a FOWLR setup, and that I not buy coral until about 4 months of getting used to working with SW, since I'm a newly converted freshie lol.

I really don't think this guy was trying to just "make a sale." He knew I was just going to gather information, and he seemed to be trying to give me the best advice he could. I also know that he's kept multiple reef tanks for years, and has some gorgeous and thriving soft and hard corals, so I'm inclined to trust him.

Oh and a few last little tidbits of advice I was given:

He emphatically recommended that I use a QT tank (solid advice there IMO), and when I asked him about buying a UV sterilizer, he said my money might be best spent elsewhere, at least for now.

Good price for the tank. I would definitely get it.

I can't recommend wet/dry filters though. Make a refugium. It's much more effective at removing what you want.

The protein skimmer advise is also true. You don't need one to start, but if you want/need one later on then you can get one. Maybe that's just me though lol

slitherbomb said:
I can't recommend wet/dry filters though. Make a refugium. It's much more effective at removing what you want.

Mind if I ask you why that is? I don't doubt you, just trying to get your opinion.

Wet/dry filters usually trap A LOT of debris which create nitrate problems. A refugium with LR rubble and chaeto algae would be a lot more beneficial to your system because it provides room for bacteria to colonize and do the ammonia to nitrate thing, just like a wet/dry filter, but the chaeto the takes up the nitrates and phosphates, and even some heavy metals.

I had kind of figured as such. My bit of researching online pretty much came up with the same thing.

I'm still open to hearing others' opinions, but I've decided I want the sump/refugium.

Anyways, here's another question. As I said earlier the tank comes with a quad T5 HO light fixture. He told me that should be good for most soft corals, but if I ever wanted to do hard corals I'd have to upgrade to at least eight T5 bulbs.

Thoughts on that? And would 4 actually be enough for soft corals?

That's always good to hear. Tomorrow or the day after, I might go out and get the tank and all the supplies!

Update! So I finally went out and bought a whoooole bunch of stuff for my 75G build. Since it's a 75G build, and not a 55, I figured it appropiate to start a new thread, and let this one fizzle out, so as to avoid any confusion lol.

Here's the link, if you guys still want to tag along and help me out with my build, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks again for all your help so far! :thanks:

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f14/75g-build-first-timer-167499.html

Back
Top Bottom