55g reef build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
kdpuffer said:
I like the mushroom rock yet hate it, they keep dropping off and floating to other parts of the tank. The clowns are sweet I like the misbar. I don't think I'm going to add any fish unless I can find a purple firefish, also a mandarin but that will be a long time, gotta Reno my basement, get my 75g rr then get my sump going.

Ha! Well i am envious of it, we dont have mushrooms sinse they are so dang expensive here. Seriously, yours is worth 100+ bucks.
They are awesome, i think you should look into some type of wrasse. Those are so active!

Well the other day my blenny was at the front glass, I had noticed his belly looked odd but wasn't ever to get a good look till this point. I noticed his belly moving- full of worms :-( I had also noticed my fox face "shedding" spending time at the cleaner shrimp and had cloudy eyes plus my clowns especially the female have been suffering frayed fins. So I set of a hospital tank and removed all fish for treatment. Dosed some prazipro for the worms and once that treatment is done I'll dose the clowns for the fin rot. I had some oddball rock in my DT that I removed to the hospital tank and have some other dry rock aswell that I will be adding aswell as a nice big piece that will be taking the place of the removed rocks in the DT. Other than those issues everything is doing well, seeing growth on my green monti and my candy cane is getting ready to split again (it's looking really nice) all other corals are doing well and looking great.

Dang man sorry to hear about the fish :/ hopefully they are ok! Those corals must be doin well, keep up the good work! :)

Aw bummer man. What could it be? I wish you the BEST of luck!!

That being said, is it bad when a foxface sheds? I just discovered that ours was doing it yesterday..and now that i think of it he does it ALL the time!!

I googled it and it is normal for them to shed, it's just replenishing the slime coat. All things combined is why I decided to treat him too, fit the symptoms of flukes which prazipro also treats. My blenny is my main concern, I could see the worms moving in his stomach. The clowns meh, I wanted to get some Picasso or something anyway. If they live sweet if not sweet but I will be doing my best to heal them up. Thanks for the concern guys.

So on a plus note, all fish appear to be on the mend. Fox faces eyes have cleared up as have the blennies, and his belly is looking better. Even the clownfish look better, full of energy (always were) and the marks on the fins look better- fingers crossed. Best of all they all ate greedily, the blenny attacked the pipette when I stuck it near him. Now the main tank, when I first started on my CUC I added two nassarius snails and after feeding the tank I counted at least five babies aswell as the original two. Also some small bristle worms and loads of starfish, everywhere I looked there were brittle star legs sticking out, even white ones on the sand. Also noticed loads of amphipods in addition to the Isopoda and copepods I normally see. I also have loads of other worms, spaghetti worms, some other ones that have 2 clear arms that reach out and probe around and one big ugly grey one that looks like some sort of alien scifi creation. He rolls in on himself and then rolls out to reach further- creepy little thing. I am very happy to see things growing including my coral, in the last few days I've noticed visible growth on my green monti cap, and that's increase from yesterday till today. Should grow like a weed. Everything else is growing other than my latest 5 sps additions, they have only been around a week so in time I should notice growth, they all have good polyp extension and color which is a good sign. I love this tank and it really makes me feel successful with everything growing and multiplying. The next step is adding a couple peppermint shrimp hopefully next weekend to try and get rid of the aiptasia I'm noticing, only about 8-10 small ones. Aiptasia-x didn't work on them so I'll try the shrimp. I also want to see if I can find some bargain Maxijets for my mix bin and medical/qt tank. Other than that I think I'm done adding for a while to let things settle and grow in then I can decide what other corals to add and maybe get my purple firefish, likely sooner than later. Be a nice color to throw in the mix.

Well I just got back from shopping yipeeeeee!!!!! I picked up a number of things, lets start with hardware. I got a maxi jet 1200 for my mixing powerhead aswell as a digital thermometer. I also grabbed some nori for my algae eaters and some epoxy to mount frags to my LR. Got some melafix to dose up in the hospital tank. Now the good stuff, I got a couple peppermint shrimp to eat the small amount of aiptasia popping up. One store tried to sell me on a copper band but I was not going that route. Don't get me wrong very beautiful fish and the price was the same as two peppermints but the risk and hassle wasn't for me. The pride of my spree was the AMAZING green torch coral I got, I finally found it. This was the must have coral for me so I am stocked I finally found it and it is beautiful and huge. Pics are coming up after acclimation and I decide on where to place it. I also rescaped with some old coral skeleton/rock I forgot I had.

Well here is a pic, not open yet but it is so brightly colored. Also came with a few barnacles which is pretty neat. Will add pics of it open when that happens.

Well nothing big just a little update. All fish are still in treatment and look to be doing well. Blenny seems to have kicked the worms and clowns are looking alot better also. I just put my torch through some rough treatment, it had a few barnacles in it that I just removed after reading it often causes death in the coral head. Now my beautiful torch has big pits in a couple heads, hopefully it can bounce back. Other than that nothing substantial to report. My other corals are all doing great, my frogspawn has at least five new heads growing out, not splitting. All my zoas have multiplied and my candy cane is on the verge of splitting again. My lone peppermint appears to have eaten a couple aiptasia so hopefully it figured out its food and eats the rest. I haven't been feeding the tank so it will get hungry and eat the aiptasia.

Well I took another video log of the tank, at one point I am referring to some snails and totally drew a blank- they are stomatella (I probably spelled that wrong) snails. I also ran some tests while the video uploaded and here are the results:

Calcium @ 460
Alk@ 7
Phosphates @ 0
Nitrates @ 0
Ph @ 7.5

More importantly my hospital tank is sitting at all zeros which was a big concern for me.

On another note, the afflictions that my fish had were internal worms in the blenny and fin rot on the clowns with a suspected case of flukes on the fox face. How long would you all recommend I leave the tank fallow? It's going on 2 weeks and am thinking it is probably best to go a full 8 weeks, input please.

Looks nice man! Glad to see all of the fish doing well! Haha and of course, the sleeping foxface is totally oblivious to everything. :)

Nu-Nu the eel said:
Looks nice man! Glad to see all of the fish doing well! Haha and of course, the sleeping foxface is totally oblivious to everything. :)

He sure perked up when I fed them after I took the video though lol. The torch is actually looking pretty good now to, hopefully the removal of the barnacles will help. How's your tank doing and your fish? That Betta looks sweet nice fish dude.

kdpuffer said:
He sure perked up when I fed them after I took the video though lol. The torch is actually looking pretty good now to, hopefully the removal of the barnacles will help. How's your tank doing and your fish? That Betta looks sweet nice fish dude.

Haha thats cool! I bet when that torch is fully extended it looks very nice :D i bet the removal will help, it should be alot bigger now! Haha
Fish are doing well :) there was a dog hair in the tank and my fox decided to eat it and now its in his mouth... I almost got stung tryin to remove it.. And i failed. Lol hopefully it falls out :D

Ya the fox face makes me nervous some times, mine likes to great me when I go near the tank and wants to shake my hand when I go in it lol.

Back
Top Bottom