Bringing up pH

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jasonrusso

Aquarium Advice Freak
I recently started using a nitrate reactor (bio-pellets) and I am experiencing some of the common start up conditions. Basically by water is clear but I am changing filter socks every 4-5 hours. Either way, one of the things I read was that the sudden increase in bacteria can cause a increase in CO2 which can cause a drop in pH. I've been monitoring my pH and it is around 7.9 (between 2 colors in the API test). I can't really say what it was before because I wasn't religiously checking it. My kH is at 8. Should I be concerned about this? Should I add some pH booster? It is a 150 gallon FOWLER with a porcupine puffer, golden eel, antennata lion, yellow tang and harelquin tusk. They all seem to be doing fine.

Aim a power head at the water surface the extra movement will help bring the ph up

I would not add any ph booster you need to raise ph naturally....I would increase water movement especially at the water surface I have 4 powerheads on my 55 gallon tank all on timers and one specifically aimed at the surface to increase surface aeration to raise ph.... with proper water changes should help....what is your water change schedule and what types of filters and powerheads do you have?

I change 15 gallons once a week. I have a Reef Octopus skimmer. Dual corner overflow with sump. I have 2 powerheads in the DT that point up from the bottom and ripple the surface. I have a small powerhead in the sump that points up and creates a lot of turbulence. The return pumps are 2 Eheim 1262.

You don't have any corals especially hard corals?..I would not worry about it. I think everything is good...but if you have a lfs that will test your water free I would take them a sample and double check it... the api test could be off my api test usually shows a little low....

Back
Top Bottom