Carey's LAST Build- 125g Reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
lol yeah that gets discouraging, and don't live through hers, you'll only end up making yourself jealous. eventually i'm sure you'd get a setup like this and be happy with it, like i eventually plan on doing :)

i plan on it but 14 and in an appartment isn't so great i may get a summer job make bewteen 500-1000 im thinkin of spending 400 on a laptop 50-60 on the lights for my 10 reef and was wondering are the cubes worth the price?

As for the corner of the tank I would glue a peace of glass to that corner fro inside so it makes it strong. If it is in the back then it won't be visible anyway

Good luck

Ahh ok a valve. Got it. I have the hardware picked out just not sure how to plumb it all. LOL

Will a mag 9.5 be enough return or too much for a 1200gph overflow? I'm guessing here so help if you can.

If you plan on restricting flow I suggest you have the pump go off in a Y with one end going to the tank and the other going to the sump, having a valve on each and adjust the flow by opening the sump end of the Y until it is fully open and then start closing the one to the DT, That way you won't burn out your pump pre maturely by having too much back pressure. The valve that goes to your sump will probably only need to be open a little bit and your DT stay open the whole way.

here's something that may or may not help DIY Plumbing 101 - The Free Freshwater and Saltwater Aquarium Encyclopedia Anyone Can Edit - The Aquarium Wiki

I would assume the 9.5 to be too small as at 3 ft if static head you're looking at just over 800 gph on the pump, the overflow box is making sure everything balances in the end so only 800 comes from the tank 800 back in... as long as your using ph's to get more flow in the tank its probably ok. at least it'll give your skimmer time to work. once again all my knowledge is from books at this point, so it's tough to say for certain but I know some others will chime in with their thoughts as well.

here's something that may or may not help DIY Plumbing 101 - The Free Freshwater and Saltwater Aquarium Encyclopedia Anyone Can Edit - The Aquarium Wiki

I would assume the 9.5 to be too small as at 3 ft if static head you're looking at just over 800 gph on the pump, the overflow box is making sure everything balances in the end so only 800 comes from the tank 800 back in... as long as your using ph's to get more flow in the tank its probably ok. at least it'll give your skimmer time to work. once again all my knowledge is from books at this point, so it's tough to say for certain but I know some others will chime in with their thoughts as well.
+1
You probably won't have an issue with your overflows not being able to handle it, but if you do have too much (because you got a different pump or decide to put 2) and you want to "hold back" some of the flow I would do the Y, so you don't burn your pump out prematurely

If you plan on restricting flow I suggest you have the pump go off in a Y with one end going to the tank and the other going to the sump, having a valve on each and adjust the flow by opening the sump end of the Y until it is fully open and then start closing the one to the DT, That way you won't burn out your pump pre maturely by having too much back pressure. The valve that goes to your sump will probably only need to be open a little bit and your DT stay open the whole way.

As usual, I,m not sure I get it. The pump will be submerged in the last chamber. You mean to add a Y tot he output hose and go from there? Is it beneficial to have a shut off valve on the overflow intake as well?

I was only going with the double overflow cause the sump has two incoming bulkheads. Is a double still the way to go then? I would like to be able toshut down the system in case of emergency. i also lose my power quite frequently here so I don't want any floods.

I have two return pumps, that way if one fails on the first day of a long weekend (like Christmas eve) then I will have something that will get me by till the stores open again. I strongly advise that you have two return pumps and have a shut off for each. I personally don't have a Y because I knew that my return could more then handle the flow from both pumps. About the flooding the house part... I did that a few times... now I have an overflow in my sump... if it gets to that point then the water just goes out the pipe and outside (or it could go into a drain)

+1 on the dual return pumps. I have two on order at my LFS rated for 1400gph each. Much better safe than sorry.

So I would have 2 return hoses going back into the tank then?

I like theidea of an overflow on the sump, couldnt I just put a 5g or 10g tank under neath and have any overflow divert to there?

Would I still need 2 return pumps rated for 1000gph or would I split the difference between them?

I suppose you could probably split the difference, but if one went out you would really have a system limping along until you fixed it. I would have two overflows and two separate returns.

If you wanted to avoid two 1000gph pumps, why not do two 750gph, that would give you some really good flow, and would be able to sustain decently if one goes on you.

Back to shopping I suppose! LOL I was really set on the mag drive. If I get two I may have to go with a cheaper brand. Any suggestions? Also, won't there be an issue with fitting 2 return pumps into the sump compartment?

Depends on how big of a sump you have, I am using a 55 gallon, so space isn't an issue. How big of a sump did you end up with?

Back
Top Bottom