Careys New 55g Reef Help thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well the setup just arrived. Heres a nice cloudy shot. Now time to clean!

Attachments

• 2011-03-29_18-17-12_508.jpg
    2011-03-29_18-17-12_508.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 110
are you gonna transfer everything from your 29G to the 55?

Here are some shots of the new 55g. Looks much better with the lights on. :) Just have to do a massive pwc and get some new bulbs. Then its on to the aiptasia growing like a crop in there.

overall I'm pretty pleased with my purchase. I think it's kinda majestic looking on that stand. Trying to rush with getting it ready cause as you can see I've had to turn a tank sideways to fit it! Now thats jammed for space. lol

Attachments

• DSCN0187.jpg
    DSCN0187.jpg
    203.1 KB · Views: 103
  • DSCN0188.jpg
    DSCN0188.jpg
    199.8 KB · Views: 106
  • DSCN0189.jpg
    DSCN0189.jpg
    201.4 KB · Views: 121
been busy all day with pwc's and other fishy stuff. I got a background on, hope it looks ok.

i wouldn't say it needs to be drilled but drillign it is infact nicer lookign then a HOB overflow. alot of folk might say not to drill it as you may want to sell it after or if you decide to go big you can always turn that 55 into a very nice sump/refugium

do some research. most 55 gal tanks are tempered atleast on the bottom

Well, I'm not drilling it. LOL I'm just a newbie at this and would like to keep it simple. If and when I upgrade again i will definitely be getting the appropriate tank. :)

the ati blue plus would be your actinic lamp. the aquablue special is a 12k lamp. to the naked eye it looks crisp white.

btw, drilling the back pane would be the "simple" approach. once you drill a tank, you'll be laughing at how easy it is and how difficult you thought it was.

the ati blue plus would be your actinic lamp. the aquablue special is a 12k lamp. to the naked eye it looks crisp white.

btw, drilling the back pane would be the "simple" approach. once you drill a tank, you'll be laughing at how easy it is and how difficult you thought it was.

Thanks for clarification on the bulbs. I should be ordering them today from aquacave. $85 for all 4 bulbs.

Ok, so this drilling of the tank.....don't I need a sump for that? I have no room underneath for a sump though. The cabinet is split in half and has shelves. I think its a TV stand actually. lol

I just ordered the ATI bulbs, cant wait to see them. :)

I also just ordered all the test kits I'll need. I got mag, silicate, iodide and a new nitrate kit. :)

Did I forget any test kits that are needed for coral keeping?
I don't wanna get crazy but I will get what is needed.

Thanks guys!

Carey, I would strongly advise you to contact aquacave and see about swapping one of those aquablues for a purple+. I have a 75G with 4 T5s and just recently went through the same situation swapping bulbs out. The two Aquablues is not a good look with too much "white". I run from front to back a Blue+, Aquablue, Purple+, Blue+. It's a great spectrum for color and growth with a lot of pop!

just called aquacave, waiting for a call back.

I was wondering if that would be too much white. lol Thanks for posting!! might have saved me $30. :)

So I started to move some of the rock from the 29g to the 55g. I also moved a mushroom coral over too so I can see how they do. Took some photos, what do you think? My b/f said the big ledge look too deliberate. lol I like it. Will give swimming and hiding room. :)

img_1277844_0_ecf335163f745dbdccc8c4b03939a7dd.jpg

img_1277844_1_23ee67cce099d5cb98c2ae214f00b578.jpg

carey said:
I just ordered the ATI bulbs, cant wait to see them. :)

I also just ordered all the test kits I'll need. I got mag, silicate, iodide and a new nitrate kit. :)

Did I forget any test kits that are needed for coral keeping?
I don't wanna get crazy but I will get what is needed.

Thanks guys!

Phosphate n calcium are also important

Light stand: 72 inch Current USA 12x39W Lights: Current T5HO (2)-10kk True lumen T5HO (6)-12kk. Power white Current T5HO (4)-460nm Actinics 220 gallons custom tank

Oh I almost forgot I have already:
ph hi and low kits
ammonia nitrite nitrate
calcium phosphate alkilinity
KH copper

is there anything else I'd need?

How do the rocks look? Or is it too soon to tell? You can tell me it stinks I can take it ;-)

ammonia, nitrate, nitrite, ph, alk, calcium, and mag are the only test kits i own. color is in the eye of the beholder. i don't like the purple lamps. i think they are a waste of money.
FYI, a 75 gallon with 4 lamps over it isn't going to get "great growth", unless your talking softies and some lps.

Last edited:
ammonia, nitrate, nitrite, ph, alk, calcium, and mag are the only test kits i own. color is in the eye of the beholder. i don't like the purple lamps. i think they are a waste of money.
FYI, a 75 gallon with 4 lamps over it isn't going to get "great growth", unless your talking softies and some lps.

After alot of thought I kept my original order and didnt change out for the purple ones. :-D

With the four lamps I should be able to keep SPS corals correct?

I don't know the lights manufacturer but its 4x54 watts and there are individual reflectors for each bulb.

in the top half of the tank it should be ok for some sps. the highest light sps like acropora will need to be in the top 1/3.

Yep thats what i was planning. I only have two arcopora frags for right now.

Thanks very much for your time, much appreciated.

Today I guess is a big day. I moved most of the LR from the 29g over to the 55g. Do you think it looks okay? I have a few more to add.

img_1278937_0_0506bc0c8adc70f6b4e3338e5e3b4b42.jpg

img_1278937_1_df1e1003c79d4ed8b0923661e3b7ef5e.jpg

Also, heres a picture of whats left in the 29g. Can I leave my fish and corals without much LR for a few days? i will be moving the skimmer and one of the koralias as well today. It still has a AC filter running on it and water parameters seem good.

img_1278937_2_648a47b27172a13c844c819eca2b00ae.jpg

Back
Top Bottom