Careys New 55g Reef Help thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Aww sorry about your fish. that sucks. i had a blue johanni that got sucked up and I still feel bad about it. My only fatality to date.

I've never heard of an eibli tang. Sounds like a cool fish. i want personality in my fish, my blenny cracks me up and i can stare at my clowns all day. Maybe I'm just easily amused.

I'm gonna look into this yellow eyed kole tang some more. Maybe it will be ok. With my luck I'll get the Kole and then i wont be able to house a yellow tang when i upgrade. Gotta check compatibility.

hmm i couldnt find it. I also saw that the kole tang cant be kept with any other tangs. :-(

**cry**

lol

The kole tang should be fine with a yellow tang in a larger tank. I'm actually looking into getting one for the large tank too. The only ones not compatible with the yellow tang are the ones in the Zebrasoma family...just type it into the search on liveaquaria..all those tangs are in the same family and wont get along too well.

The yellow tangs can be mean too....this really all depends on how your fish's personality is haha my LFS guy says the yellow tang will either be a very nice fish or a very mean fish..im glad mine is a sweety haha...well so far he hasn't bothered anything

well I guess i have a few weeks to decide since I just added fish today. That mimic it says gets up to 10"! Wow. Cool looking fish though.
The other tang I was looking at is the yellow lemonpeel. It says a four foot tank is ok. But it also says its very aggressive.

I'm leaning on getting a baby yellow one. I already have the filtration system for a 125g all I need is a tank and stand. Little more research on growing speed to be sure.

thanks so much for your help tonight Kelsey. its much appreciated. :)

kms907 said:
Yah they have a pair of small snowflakes at my LFS now for 125 each...but i don't want to overstock my tank and only wanted to get one clown. I couldn't bring myself to separate the two haha. They are getting more in soon, a variety of kinds so i'll have to go look.

I had a flameback angel, beautiful fish and he was doing well in the nano. He left my corals alone...until i tried to make frags of the birdsnest. He would pick at the small pieces and kill them. Then i had to move a plate coral from my seahorse tank to the nano and he was all over that. I then moved the angel to the seahorse tank since it has only mushroom and zoas. He was doing good in there for about 2 weeks, then suddenly he got aggressive and started picking at the horses so he had to go back :(.

I've got lemon peel angel who is semi aggressive to other fish but doesnt pick on corals... At least not to destroy them ... I guess it's my luck.. He's been in the tank for about 3 years

Light stand: 72 inch Current USA 12x39W Lights: Current T5HO (2)-10kk True lumen T5HO (6)-12kk. Power white Current T5HO (4)-460nm Actinics 220 gallons custom tank

yupp i definitely just had some bad luck with this guy...my friend has one in his reef and it doesn't pick on a thing either. I specifically ordered the flameback too because i've read them to be the least likely to pick haha dang.

Flake said:
My flame DESTROYED my corals. I don't think angels will be making a repeat appearance.

I also have a flame angel... N doesnt pick on anything...

Light stand: 72 inch Current USA 12x39W Lights: Current T5HO (2)-10kk True lumen T5HO (6)-12kk. Power white Current T5HO (4)-460nm Actinics 220 gallons custom tank

Just waqnted to say i got my new bulbs today and they look awesome! Thanks to Mr X and his ATI suggestion. Much better than the ones I had.
:-D
Some new pictures to come soon!

How long did it take to get this tank up and running?

I started a 29g earlier this year and about two weeks ago bought an entire 55g setup and kinda just combined. :)

I lucked out big time with my cycling, only took a week with Lots of LR and LS that came from an existing tank.

Heres some quickie shots with the new bulbs. I like that theres a blue "base" to the color. And when I switch off the whites at night the color is outstanding!

img_1290847_0_6fd09735f928d8ec6a2949ee5008e56f.jpg

img_1290847_1_d6c765f46f8dc703919a1a6e81ad45bb.jpg

img_1290847_2_a884023e075755688b200f5d8d7bf2cf.jpg

Back
Top Bottom