Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-30-2011, 09:08 AM   #131
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by huma-huma View Post
Carey I honestly havent the slightest clue how you fund your severe fishy obsession lol
I just want to know which bank she held up so when I get ready I don't hit the same one. It would be a shame to go through that and then find the vault empty.

Old 08-30-2011, 09:38 AM   #132
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdnelson99 View Post
I just want to know which bank she held up so when I get ready I don't hit the same one. It would be a shame to go through that and then find the vault empty.

You just made me laugh out loud! Very clever!

Old 08-30-2011, 09:42 AM   #133
Aquarium Advice Addict

I am here to serve. Just in a little different way than you because I don't know squat about this stuff without asking. LOL
Old 08-30-2011, 09:49 AM   #134
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I ask my fair share of questions too, some are kinda dumb too from time to time.

Like right now- I am not liking my new MH fixture. It seems way too dim and my corals are not even close to liking it. I like the shimmer but thats about it. I'm thinking I made a mistake going for the MH. ggrrrrrr.....so what do I do now?
lol
Old 08-30-2011, 09:50 AM   #135
Aquarium Advice Freak

Use both lights you have if you can fit them and not get to hot
Old 08-30-2011, 09:54 AM   #136
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey View Post
I ask my fair share of questions too, some are kinda dumb too from time to time.

Like right now- I am not liking my new MH fixture. It seems way too dim and my corals are not even close to liking it. I like the shimmer but thats about it. I'm thinking I made a mistake going for the MH. ggrrrrrr.....so what do I do now?
lol
As an electrical contractor, I can tell you that the quality of the light will deteriorate over time with MH. While we deal in totally different color temps and most humans don't notice the gradual change, I suspect the corals do. After all, we don't rely on the lighting in the same way. From what I have read on this web site MH is the best way to go. I would say, try a new lamp before you chuck the fix in the trash.
Old 08-30-2011, 10:02 AM   #137
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Off to ebay to buy a new bulb! lol

Do you think even a cheapo bulb will be good enough to start with? I don;t want to spend $80 on a bulb and still be unhappy with it....
Old 08-30-2011, 10:32 AM   #138
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey View Post
Off to ebay to buy a new bulb! lol

Do you think even a cheapo bulb will be good enough to start with? I don;t want to spend $80 on a bulb and still be unhappy with it....
I would say you would be fine with a cheap one to see if it does the trick or not. It will degrade faster imo but why waste a ton to find out that wasn't the problem.
Old 08-30-2011, 10:47 AM   #139
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Thanks so much, that was what I figured too. I can live with a short bulb life if it'll give me the color I want and intensity.

Thanks again, going to order one now.
woot!
Old 08-30-2011, 12:08 PM   #140
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

ordered a 20k bulb, should be here by friday I hope. Then i can decide what to do. lol I just wish my corals would respond, only the zooas are opening although my duncan looks alot better today.

Tags
build, led, rim

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com