coffeetwitch's 40g breeder fowlr

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
just a thought. just a thought.

yes i know that ultimately this is our decision but i would like everyones input about cost and what could be done.

what if we made our 75 the fowlr and this 40 gallon breeder into a reef?

because its more shallow than most other tanks, would this help me out on needing 6-8bulb light fixture?
its not even 16 inches deep. less than that if i put a 5inch sand bed in it.
so i was thinking that adding a second 36" t5ho 2bulb light would support anything i want.

would i need a sump? im just thinking what if i find i need a reactor of some sort. i can hob only so much. i know i can get an over under wrought iron stand for 100. and then smack another 40b under it for the sump. im still hanging onto that rain check from the 1/gallon sale. or just use the sump i made for the 75 and get a hob skimmer for it.

fish could be 2 clowns and down the road a mandarin(maybe red).
maybe some reef safe shrimp and crabs.

live stock in this tank could be transferred over to the 75 so no loss of life there.

just a thought any input will be welcome.

coffeetwitch said:
just a thought. just a thought.

yes i know that ultimately this is our decision but i would like everyones input about cost and what could be done.

what if we made our 75 the fowlr and this 40 gallon breeder into a reef?

because its more shallow than most other tanks, would this help me out on needing 6-8bulb light fixture?
its not even 16 inches deep. less than that if i put a 5inch sand bed in it.
so i was thinking that adding a second 36" t5ho 2bulb light would support anything i want.

would i need a sump? im just thinking what if i find i need a reactor of some sort. i can hob only so much. i know i can get an over under wrought iron stand for 100. and then smack another 40b under it for the sump. im still hanging onto that rain check from the 1/gallon sale. or just use the sump i made for the 75 and get a hob skimmer for it.

fish could be 2 clowns and down the road a mandarin(maybe red).
maybe some reef safe shrimp and crabs.

live stock in this tank could be transferred over to the 75 so no loss of life there.

just a thought any input will be welcome.

U gotta be bored.. Lol... Y not get a 55b with the rain check? Use the 40 as a sump or QT? Or sell them both and get a 125? :)

coffeetwitch said:
lol dont over complicate this thing kio.

Look who's talking!!! Lmao... I still need on fish to tie off my tank. Any suggestions?

Tangs are 180g and 125g.... The other one is 100g, but could get away with it... Gonna need a verdict from Carey about the Tangs.

coffeetwitch said:
yeah.... i kinda name dropped before i scrolled down. sorry man.

Lol.. It's cool.. I never thought of the pyramid and I like the look...

no but seriously, i know its a relatively BIG tank and the list seems daunting, but i know for a fact that atleast Carey, me, and about 20 others would agree that once its all set up and established, our 125's are WELL worth it:)

ps....i can thank Mr.Limpet for implanting the 125 idea in my head, so i have to pass it on:)

Ok, if you are going big, go 1000 gal. LOL I am following a build thread on a local reef club where a guy is doing just that. Man, what a tank.

To throw my 2 cents in, I would, if I could, go back and get a 180g instead of the 125g I ended up with. Almost the exact footprint just bigger. lol There would be almost no limitation on the fish you could get. :) Just a few fish would need a bigger tank like sweetlips and groupers. And in my opinion maintaining a 180g wouldnt be that much different than in a 125g.

Saw a guy post a while back that because he lived in FL next to the ocean he was trying to figure out how to plumb his pool to the ocean so he could turn it into a reef and dive with his fish. LOL Now wouldn't that be cool.

Yeah. Sweety pie still says bills first. Although I still cruse craigslist for that deal we can't pass up. I may still toy around with this new idea for a bit. I've seen lots of pics and vids of 40b reef tanks. I like em.

4bulbs of t5 ho would be plenty on a shallow tank like this right? Grow anything I want?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom