Cycling Irregularities?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nsu7

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am on day 3 of cycling and seem to have nitrAte, but 0 nitrIte...???

Ammonia =1.0ppm
Nitrite=0ppm
Nitrate=10.0ppm
pH=8.2
Salinity=1.0235

Using Aquarium Pharmecutical saltwater test kit and Instant Ocean Hydrometer.

Thanks for any insights

Welcome to AA.com!

That is a little weird. Is there any live rock in the tank? Either way, you're not cycled, and ammonia is currently too high, so a water change should be done.

Also, looking at your sig: a Red Sea Prism Deluxe is not going to be adequate for your 75gallon setup. I would look at Aqua C Remora's. yes they cost more, but they're also far superior to Prism's (which IMO are over-priced/over-hyped junk).

No live rocks nor live sand, nothing live but the poor fish...

Huh, now I'm confused b/c I've read that you're not supposed to change water till the tank is fully cycled, however I trust your expert advice. Nice fish tanks on your web page... So do you use the powerheads soley to simulate water currents/improve water flow? I'm thinking that's prly an excellent idea...?

I'll check out the Remora's, I've heard mixed reviews, lots good, but some say the pumps die quickly. Do you find that to be true? I almost bought a SeaClone 100, but am glad I didn't, nothing but bad reviews...

Also, I just read up on the Berlin method article on this site and now I'm wondering if a protein skimmer is the best choice for a 2nd filter as the Emperor 400, being mechanial, will lessen the efficency of the skimmer. For about 100-150 I want to get the best 2nd filter (of any type) for the money I can... Whether the CPR Bak Pak, or Remora, or a canister-maybe a fluval?

Back
Top Bottom