Doing a custom t5 light

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tannercurtidor

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi,
I'm thinking about making a 4-3 bulb T5 light fixture with 2 foot long bulbs for my 29g tank (I'm going to a hydroponic store, I heard a person can buy single tube fixtures for around $25). If I get really fancy I might order a couple of blue led bars from eBay for around 7-10 dollar each for a moonlight effect in the morning and night.

I'm just wonder if the T5 bulbs are the same size, what bulbs I should get and how to arrange them?

To keep corals, we utilize t5ho units. Corals need a varying amount of light, but in reality pretty intense light... If one bar is 25 bucks a pop, I'd save my own time and look at the taotronics LEDs on eBay and Amazon so I can keep whatever I want. Each unit covers 2 ft of tank.

I agree. Good bulbs are about $21-25 each for 24". That's 65-100 and they won't last a year. Add on the costs of the fixture and hassle if hanging it, you can buy a better LED light. Or, if you want to save a few bucks and are into that kind of thing you can build your own led light. But eBay for LEDs is what I'd do.

Any idea on how long the LEDs will last? The main reason i was thinking about going with T5s because I can replace the bulbs without having to replace the fixture

Back
Top Bottom