DSB + VACCUM = NO, NO!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

something_fishy

Aquarium Advice Activist
I didn't know you shouldn't be vaccuming your dsb. I thought all that stuff that was getting sucked up was bad stuff... never again. oooops, no wonder my tank was taking so long to cycle...

something_fishy actually its to bad you cant vac out all that crud instead of just letting it sit thier and rot.

Mike

Sorry, You are right you cant vacuum out a DSB. I was saying that it was to bad you couldnt, it would be alot more effcient if you could instead of allowing all the cr** to sit and stew in it.

Mike

True, true

Is there anyway to clean a dsb??
I plan to make a dsb in my 15 gallon which currently has a gravel bed of about 6 months. Can I just add the dsb to it? I am getting the dsb at my lfs, so it is already live sand. By adding it to the gravel, am I going to disturb anything? e.g. will it make the tank start its cycle over again???
I was told never to disturb the dsb because it acts like a filter.
Please help me out, I could use some basic facts about a dsb.

With the proper amount of detrivores, there is nothing available to be sitting and "stewing" on or in a deep sand bed. If you are having problems with rotting food, nuisance algae, etc. then you have a problem somewhere not directly linked to the sandbed itself. Personally, when I feed a small army of bristleworms and pods come out of the rockwork to make quick work of any last morsel.

Can I just add the dsb to it? I am getting the dsb at my lfs, so it is already live sand. By adding it to the gravel, am I going to disturb anything? e.g. will it make the tank start its cycle over again???
The gravel should be removed. If not, being larger it will eventually rise to the top of the bed and essentially block it from working correctly. A quick search on here or Google for "deep sand beds" should give you more than enough reading to fill the next few nights :wink:

Back
Top Bottom