Effects of LR on the Cycling process

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquarium Advice Activist
I started my 50g tank four days ago with with 40 pds of cured LR. The tank has a raw schrimp in it. I have sen no amonea spikes at all and was wondering if I even will considering all the LR and the sump I have running. The LFS said the cycling process will take 5-7 days with my system. I'm starting to believe him considering the test results I'm getting. What results should I be looking for before i put in my cleaning crew? TIA

You still have to have the amm/nitrite/nitrate cycle in that order. The live rock if it's live should cause some kind of cycling and it will probably take closer to 2 weeks. If you have no cycle then the bacteria aren't getting anything to convert, which I would think means they will not multiply.

Give it another week or so and check your water daily. If you don't see any rise with a rotting shrimp and you're using a good kit, you can probably consider it pretty well cycled and ok to start adding slowly.

Back
Top Bottom