first reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Clowns, gobies, chromis, blennies. I find inverts more interesting than fish after all the years of freshwater I have done. Looking forward to getting a skunk cleaner shrimp to sit up in the center of my tank. Have peppermint shrimp now and an emerald crab.

Ditch the bio wheel.

SRC

OKa what about clean up crew i really want clowns and could i get a blue tang with them? In a 75

I like everything you said and i was thinking some shrimp too? But i also want like a main fish like a tang or something

Nah, get a kole tang, way easier to keep and care for plus they dont get as big as blue hippos and yellow tangs

I also like some of the dwarf angels like the flame angel
What's a good place to get cheap supplies and rock and hire much base/ live rock should i get? Its OKs if i have to wait for everything to cycle and seed but i want good stuff but not pay up the ***

Brs is good, so is drfostersmith lr is expensive, ur gettig a 75 gal so ull need 75-80lbs or rock, and about 120 lbs of live sand, by about 60 lbs of base rock, which is way cheaper then live, and buy 15 lbs of live to seed it, 15 lbs is gonna cost almost as much as the 60 lbs of dry rock. Sand is about 30 bucks per 30 or 40 lb bag here, then ull need lights, i reccomend somthing over 250 watts if u want corals. Dwarf angels are known to eat and nip at corals. A couple powerheads, a good protein skimmer a good heater. A 75 gallon full blown reef is gonna run you in total around 2000$ maybe less, but in this hobby you get what you pay for

Exactly what lights would you recommend i was looking at around two hundred but def no more than 3

If your looking at those prices look at the ebay led pendants, you can pick up two for around 300 shipped. But get the dimmable ones. Or do a diy led kit from reef breeders. I got a 6 bulb 36 inch t5 ho with blue moons and all on one timer for 204$ shipped to my door. Bulbs were crap and needed to be replaced, honestly im a fan of big t5 fixtures cause theyre proven for tens of years already, leds on the other hand have been going for around 4 or 5 maybe a bit more, if you dont mind spending 120 on bulbs every year then a 6 bulb t5 is the way to go.

Metal halide is another option, you could get away with one 400 watt or a couple of 150 watts but they are more costly on hydro and put out alot of heat, but boy do they ever grow corals

If you have the time you can make your own live rock like I did for about 70 cents a pound. Then you can make shapes, towers and caves. I'd happily share the recipe.

Attachments

• image-2312136554.jpg
    image-2312136554.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 56
Got it out of Coral and Reef magazine. Buy White Portland cement, crushed puka shells, crushed coral and water softened salt.

2 parts crushed corals, 2 parts crushed puka shells, 1.3 parts white Portland cement. Mix with water so wet and holds shape. Kinda like oatmeal or granola. Mix in one part salt for porosity. Shape and left dry 48 hours.

Soak until ph is stable outside of display tank.

Is it like the regular little salt crystals or the like mini stones

It is rock salt. Here is some photos of my DIY rocks.

I plan to make more. Add some to my tank and trade some for frags.

I had to call a couple of concrete suppliers for the white Portland cement. You can do it with grey (cheaper and easier to find) but white looks better.

Attachments

• image-1827375141.jpg
    image-1827375141.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 67
  • image-873195226.jpg
    image-873195226.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 76
  • image-190262246.jpg
    image-190262246.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 79
  • image-699689953.jpg
    image-699689953.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 64
  • image-476814241.jpg
    image-476814241.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 110
Wow definatly looks porous enough where do you get the white portland

Right on how much you think it'll cost for a seventy five?

Back
Top Bottom