freshwater to 75 gallon saltwater reef with fish evolution.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
yeah that makes since ausfish.

i have anther question about sumps. how necessary is it to have a bubble trap in my sump between the skimmer section and the rest of the sump?

Very necessary....don't want micro bubbles in dt
work with me huma, you seem good about thinking outside the box. what if the skimmer and the return pump chambers where side by side but water from the skimmer compartment was not allowed to enter the return pump chamber, what if the flow was made to go the length of the sump, 24" away from the skimmer then back the length of the sump then be able to overflow into the return pump chamber. there would be a divider of sorts running the length of the fuge section causeing the water to "U"
kinda like the picture only in one sump vs 2 joined together.

img_1538449_0_4c7fbcccb64934035b48817331782474.jpg

coffeetwitch said:
would that make enough time for the bubbles to work out?

Up late, huh? Lol... Ok, bubbles.... As ur water is coming out ur DT, is it coming out a PVC pipe or flex pipe?

dont know yet. im just staring at my empty sump with 4 pieces of glass baffle waiting to be siliconed in place. asking what if. how about that. its my thing its what i do.

why do you ask what do you know?

coffeetwitch said:
you getting ready for work?

No, can't sleep, **** PTSD... Lol.... If u use PVC and a CPR overflow box to take the water out the dt to sump (reference my pic I sent earlier) cut slits in the PVC. DO NOT drill it. Have slits alternate down pipe. Pipe should be about 2-4 inches from bottom of sump. Have that water go over baffle to ur rubble. Hope this helps.

coffeetwitch said:
i dont see how that would reduce or remove the need for a bubble trap because of the skimmer.

Y are you running a skimmer? Just curious...

lol because most everyone else is. monkey see monkey do. and this tank will be a mixed reef so if i can help the system along this way i think its worth it. i want to run the biggest fuge i can, i know that much. ive even thought about a simple hob skimmer.

so im back and forth about an in sump, i keep reading its superior to a hob skimmer.

i know im wanting to run an hob skimmer for my 40g sw im planing to put the eel in since it will have no sump.

I've ran my system without one and have been fine.... It's a matter of preference I guess... The pics I attached have the baffles all laid out on the glass, just reference. If I get a skimmer, I'll pit it before the return pump, but I've seen no need for me to get one...

Last edited:
coffeetwitch said:
the slots you speak of, are they horizontal or vertical slots for you supply to the sump.

Horizontal and alternating down pipe.... It helps air escape and keeps the flow even.

Unicorn said:
No, stupid nitrites are still there :( hate them by now. But my amo is going down fast, so I'm partially happy

There is no silence in our house either. It's either the dogs, my bf, or the stupid phone. Also the neighbors kids don't know how to keep it down.

Also terrible with migraines is light.
In general anything that stimulates your senses... Even smells.

Just as a little aside, you might want to check to see if your migraine medications have caffeine.

Caffeine is often used to help treat migraine symptoms. It causes the blood vessels leading to your head to dilate (part of the pain associated with a migraine has to do with those vessels being constricted). It also serves to enhance your body's uptake of the pain meds. So if the medication you're taking doesn't include caffeine, a cup of coffee might help you out a bit. I also get migraines, and the only medication that has worked for me (fioricet) has caffeine.

Just don't overdo it! Bcz then you can get a migraine due to caffeine withdrawal symptoms... I find that a bit ironic lol

Ok, sorry for the hijack. Back to our regularly scheduled programming.

Patterson333 said:
Just as a little aside, you might want to check to see if your migraine medications have caffeine.

Caffeine is often used to help treat migraine symptoms. It causes the blood vessels leading to your head to dilate (part of the pain associated with a migraine has to do with those vessels being constricted). It also serves to enhance your body's uptake of the pain meds. So if the medication you're taking doesn't include caffeine, a cup of coffee might help you out a bit. I also get migraines, and the only medication that has worked for me (fioricet) has caffeine.

Just don't overdo it! Bcz then you can get a migraine due to caffeine withdrawal symptoms... I find that a bit ironic lol

Ok, sorry for the hijack. Back to our regularly scheduled programming.

Always had problems with migrane medications. The ones tested on me caused severe depression.

Usualy I just take vicodin or muscle relaxers so I can sleep through the migraines. But not alot.
All the advils and tylenols I've been taking have caused me to have bad heartburn and acid reflux...

Dunno, I have to go to another doc again cuz it's still lingering around this morning.

BTW: I'm addicted to coffein LOL nothing better than a strong hot coffee to start and end your day :b

So coffeewitch, I don't understand your drawing: are you gonna have a separator going along your sump so that the water is making a u-turn at the end? Never seen it like that! Wonder how that will work out

Back
Top Bottom