freshwater to 75 gallon saltwater reef with fish evolution.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just a matter of finding the right equipment combination and having a good cleaning and maintenance schedule. And not over stocking or overfeeding.
I started the 125g with about 10 nitrates and it almost immediately dropped to around 2.5 and last week it was 0. So yeah, find that sweet spot and youre set.

Berlins can be quite good as well, again, it all depends on the person in charge. lol

coffeetwitch said:
huma, so you say run a dsb in my fuge?

Without a doubt, yes :) I believe mine is finally starting to take hold. About 9 days ago my grates were at 20ish.. did a 20g pwc, tested my grates yesterday and they are at 5!!!

See that's the thing, with all the investment that I've already made in this tank, the dsb might just put me way over the top. I was thinking of creating one in my fuge, but from what I've read here, my money might be best spent elsewhere (as the dsb in the fuge wouldn't encompass a grand enough surface area)

i think you have enough mud to be the equivalent of a dsb. opinions are like a**h****, every one has one... me im taking their advice and running one in my fuge.

Yea, now I'm starting to think I'll run one in my sump as well lol. Don't think it would hurt anything, and since my sumo isn't all that massive, I shouldn't need too much sand.

all this talk about dsb in the sump has me needing to ask more questions. now that im going to do one in the sump what kind of critters do i need in it?

i think im going to need lr and macro algae. just dont know if i need a cuc or something like that.

coffeetwitch said:
all this talk about dsb in the sump has me needing to ask more questions. now that im going to do one in the sump what kind of critters do i need in it?

i think im going to need lr and macro algae. just dont know if i need a cuc or something like that.

No cuc and use frag rock (lil pieces of LR/base rock). Just see my pic, it'll show u what is in each chamber...

Yep, I have macro and live rock rubble in mine. somehow I have soem snails and hermits int here too, guessing they hitched a ride in on the rock when I put it in. Lots of algae growing in mine now so they shouldnt be hungry. Now I have that darn coralline growing on the refugium walls. It's a plague I tell ya.

lol thank you sir. k how much rubble? pound wise? 4-6 inches deep right? sugar fine? or the same stuff i have in my dt will work? this is how im setting up my fuge, only with just one baffle on the fuge side.

img_1538269_0_299d912cf20dd5793d656a4fc77b1b1f.jpg

carey said:
Yep, I have macro and live rock rubble in mine. somehow I have soem snails and hermits int here too, guessing they hitched a ride in on the rock when I put it in. Lots of algae growing in mine now so they shouldnt be hungry. Now I have that darn coralline growing on the refugium walls. It's a plague I tell ya.

Lmao.... I just have diatom, but it filters out before it gets cycled in the tank.

coffeetwitch said:
lol thank you sir. k how much rubble? pound wise? 4-6 inches deep right? sugar fine? or the same stuff i have in my dt will work? this is how im setting up my fuge, only with just one baffle on the fuge side.

Ur dt sand is fine. I put about 3 hand full of rubble, no real weight. Enough ur water has to filtrate over several layers.

There are lots of opinions in the aquarium world about DSDs. Some say "do it" and some say "don't". Not everything works the same everywhere. I have a somewhat DSD in my DT and a DSD in my refugium/sump with LR ruble and algea.
Hope it works out for you :)

I have so much coralline it's starting to blockout my corals from growing, its plating on my frags. The lfs today said the zooas should grow on it but so far they haven't. While I like the purple, it really is a pain, every rock in my tank is covered with it and the glass too. With my setup I have to take the light off the tank to get at the side walls with a razor.

I have about 10 lbs of rock in my fuge, I'm also trying to encourage pod growth as well so the more nooks and crannies the better.

Back
Top Bottom