Frustrated, need help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fairtrade

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've been having problems with my 30 gal salt water tank. I've had quite a few fish deaths since i started it in august. The deaths have been for various reasons, mostly from my own stupidity or lack of research. For example, right now, I have a six-line wrasse that is getting sick and i'm pretty sure its because my other fish is a damsel and he has been rather aggressive.

I have about 30 lbs of live rock (although its only part of it is really live), and 20 pounds of sand. I have a fairly large amount of cleaner snails, I bought a 30 gal pack from reefcleaners.com. Ammonia and nitrite are zero, and nitrate generally reads less than 20. As far as I know that water quality is good, but, I could very well be wrong as this is my first saltwater tank.

I think that my six-line could likely die. If he pulls through and the damsel calms down i'll try to stick with it, but otherwise I may need to get some new fish...so...I want some general advice. I want so very easy fish. Certianly I would prefer interesting pretty ones, but hardiness is more important right now. I also prefer herbivores because I would prefer to not have to feed them meat or frozen foods. So yeah, what would you recommend for a cheap, easy to care 30 gal build?

In addition to that, any other general advice or ideas about what I've been doing wrong? I'm beginning to get a little frustrated with this whole thing.

Saw a post a while back. When answering the question "What is an un-aggressive damsel" the very experience hobbyist answered "A dead one".

Here is my stock list in my 45. All get along great and are neat fish. You couldn't have all and definitely not the Kole but it will give you some ideas.

1 Kole Yellow Eye Tang
2 Clowns
1 Six Line Wrasse
3 Blue/Green Chromis
1 Fire Shrimp
3 Emerald Crab
CUC

Saw a post a while back. When answering the question "What is an un-aggressive damsel" the very experience hobbyist answered "A dead one".

Here is my stock list in my 45. All get along great and are neat fish. You couldn't have all and definitely not the Kole but it will give you some ideas.

1 Kole Yellow Eye Tang
2 Clowns
1 Six Line Wrasse
3 Blue/Green Chromis
1 Fire Shrimp
3 Emerald Crab
CUC

For the time being I was thinking about getting 2-4 simple schooling fish, such as clown fish or maybe chromis. Any ideas for cheap schooling fish?

I wouldn't go with more than two clowns for sure. But, the blue/green chromis are schooling fish and very cheap. Very hearty as well. They are jumpers so be sure you have a good top or screen.

I wouldn't go with more than two clowns for sure. But, the blue/green chromis are schooling fish and very cheap. Very hearty as well. They are jumpers so be sure you have a good top or screen.

Yeah, I may go with chromis, they're not very pretty, but you can't beat the price. Now, obviously I know that damsel are aggressive, but how do they behave around each other? What if i were to get 3 damsels?

Damsels together aren't aggressive to each other but they will be aggressive towards other fish. If you want Damsels, the best thing to do is have a species only tank. I had this when I first set up my SW, hmm..a longer time go than I care to admit :) I was able to keep Peppermint shrimp in with them, along with some snails, without issues.

The Green Chromis is actually another type of damsel but they don't seem to be as aggressive.

If you get some damsels and add them, and then a little while later decide to add more, the trick is to shake up the world of the ones aready in the tank. To do this you rearrange the tank...move the live rock around. That way, when you introduce the newcomers, everyone is on a level playing field...so to speak, in establishing territory. It cuts down on the "beat up the new guy" syndrome.

Damsels together aren't aggressive to each other but they will be aggressive towards other fish. If you want Damsels, the best thing to do is have a species only tank. I had this when I first set up my SW, hmm..a longer time go than I care to admit :) I was able to keep Peppermint shrimp in with them, along with some snails, without issues.

The Green Chromis is actually another type of damsel but they don't seem to be as aggressive.

If you get some damsels and add them, and then a little while later decide to add more, the trick is to shake up the world of the ones aready in the tank. To do this you rearrange the tank...move the live rock around. That way, when you introduce the newcomers, everyone is on a level playing field...so to speak, in establishing territory. It cuts down on the "beat up the new guy" syndrome.

Yeah, a species only tank is what I was thinking for for the damsels. Ive just kinda been getting over my head with this tank and I really should just do something easy until I figure out what I'm doing.

Back
Top Bottom