Harmys official 75g build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ya im excited to see what happens with the tank raised but definetly going to he closely watching the price. It may not be worth it till the buzz dies down if they are to much. If they are overly priced i dont have an issue raising copepods and waiting for the population to expand. My tanks big enough for it and i do have one concern with the tank breed ones. With wild ones you can watch them hunt copepods all day. Ive heard they are active hunters of copepods. If tank raised ones or taught to eat other things and are feed with other fish, rvery other day. Will they be "lazy" and lose that hunting like activity?

Ya im excited to see what happens with the tank raised but definetly going to he closely watching the price. It may not be worth it till the buzz dies down if they are to much. If they are overly priced i dont have an issue raising copepods and waiting for the population to expand. My tanks big enough for it and i do have one concern with the tank breed ones. With wild ones you can watch them hunt copepods all day. Ive heard they are active hunters of copepods. If tank raised ones or taught to eat other things and are feed with other fish, rvery other day. Will they be "lazy" and lose that hunting like activity?

Thats a very interesting question. I know I got 2 tank raised clows that had no idea what to do with an anemone. I have heard of one clown teaching another how to use the anemone, wish i still had my TB to experiment.

Ok my fish tank really stinks...why? Its bad. Not rotten eggs badbut maybemini rotten egg bad. Its got a rotten smell to it.... bactiria die off from the rocks sitting. outside in freshwater maybe? Im hoping it goes.away quick cause this is 75 gallons of stink in my room

Rocks not live as i made them. 2 dead raw shrimp and 6 filter pads from my 10 gallon that i used to start my cycle with. That was started.with one shrimp on may 16 th

It's probly the rotting/decaying of the shrimp, undoubtedly. My tank smelled like moldy death for a while when my tank was decaying. The smell should dissipate near the end of the cycle.

Thanks zero. Im surpised more people dont mention the smell. Thats pretty bad. Notsome thing i want to get use to

You could put some activated carbon to help absorb some of the odor from the water, or you could open a window... if the bacteria gets to it fast enough it won't smell as bad...

Well i got my test kit today..reading 1.0 ammonia nirite.0( little surpriaed by that but thats ok)

I also got my 2 power heads. I got 2 koralia evolutions 750 gph. Honestly not impressed with the flow. Doesnt seem like much.

I also got 2 filter caps to go over the pvc overflow

Well i got my test kit today..reading 1.0 ammonia nirite.0( little surpriaed by that but thats ok)

You won't start to see nitrates until the end of they cycle. The first half or so of the cycle is just building the bacteria that convert ammonia into nitrites and the second half you will start to see the nitrites converted into nitrates as this second kind of bacteria starts to colonize in your tank.

The smell is partly because of the shrimp breaking down in your tank as well as the high levels of ammonia in your water. Both do not smell great. I have found it is helpful to take the lid of (if you have one on the tank) and open up some windows at a time you are going to be out of the house for a couple hours. Airs things out a bit.

I was looking at the pictures of your rock work. Hard to tell from the pictures but it looked like you had your rock sitting on top of the sand. If this is the case you are going to want to make sure your rock sits on the bottom of the tank and the sand fills in around it. Rock on top of sand produces dead spots in the sand that can compress and become solid and cause problems down the road. Also if you end up getting any fish or inverts that move sand you set your self up for them moving the sand and your rocks becoming unstable.

Well istarted the cycle in another tank using shrimp and fliter media. And it sat there for 5 weeks. Thus my surprise of no nitrites. No biggie thou.

The smell thankful has gone away.

The rocks are sitting on egg crates. Then i made some flat rocks to sit on the crates. Then added little bit of sand. Then added some rocks and the rest of my sand. So my rocks arent sitting on sand waiting to get dug under ;)

Quick update..
Ammonia down nitrites up nitrates no report. Sg is holdind steady at 1.025. Temps about 76 with no heater and no lights

No thats the temp of the house. If the house was cooler im sure the tank would be too. The temp doent change much so im not worried at all.also not running my sump yet which i hear should drop it a couple degrees or a fan across the top.

Back
Top Bottom