It's About Time to Get This Party Started.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Children... no fighting....I'm all male over here (clarification)

Anyway... can someone explain to me why the PH will not stay up?

I did not mean that to be cynical at all, although reading it again i could understand why it may come across that way.

I would quit worrying too much about the unstable ph, that is part of the process. Also, ph tends to drop at night. Did you add a shrimp or anything to help you get that ammonia spike? I also would not be changing the water until well after you see the ammonia spike. By changing the water, you are keeping the pollutants down. It is the nasties that will make the ammonia spike.

By changing the water, you are keeping the pollutants down. It is the nasties that will make the ammonia spike.

Amen, you may be seated.

He he, I couldn't have said it better myself...know that one from experience....looooonnnnnggggggg cycle I made...

As far as the temp goes, you can run safely up to 84 degrees. I run mine at 82. As long as it stays stable and does not have large drops (such as at night) you should not have any problems. This is also a excellent preventative against ich. :mrgreen:

Okay... so... my PH changes Daily from 8.35 (after I add buffer) to as low as 8.15...but mainly to 8.20/21 ...

How low is TOO low?

What should I be trying to maintain?

HARA: I added 3 damsels

Mine went up and down as far as 7.8 for a low and 8.3 at a high. 8.3 is fine after the water stabilizes. I would not be trying to bffer during the cycle period..it will be better as time goes on...after the tank cycles, then you can try to equalize if needed.

The main things to be worried in this part of the game is, Ammonia and Nitrites. keep your eye on those and not so much the PH.

PrettyFishies said:
HARA: I added 3 damsels

I hope you like them ALOT, as you will have one heck of a time every catching them if you want to send them back to the LFS . Hopefully they will not terrorize every other fish you ever get. and I am sure they will forgive you for making them live in a toxic waste dump for a few weeks :twisted:

.oOis that the theme music from Jaws that I hear??

Well... HARA .... they are an amazing shade of blue...but they are not on my list...so bring on the net.... Already I can see the problem because they hide in the rocks at night to the point where unless they stick their heads out, I can't find them till they feel like coming out.

About the PH: Well, it's good to know that I shouldn't worry about the PH because I'm almost out of buffer :? ... Thanks for the input guys..and gals..

Already I can see the problem because they hide in the rocks at night to the point where unless they stick their heads out, I can't find them till they feel like coming out.

Most fish will act like this, the damsels will bocome more bold in time,probably too bold, mean little buggers...they are.

Here's a shot of the tank...

You can see one of the damsels at the far right and the shrimp I added last night at the bottom center...

Looks like it's coming along nicely!! (y) (y)

Out of curiousity, what is the bottle in front of the tank on the left side??

It's a cutout of an Absolut Vanilla bottle I got from a magazine... Don't worry...I don't want to raise alcoholic fish so I will remove it before the first real inhabitants arrive...

Now for an update...

I have some purple growth on much of the rock...I'm assumng it's coraline algae..it seems spiny, like small coral or sponge...pretty cool though. How long does it take for the critters (Crabs, clams, corals, etc.) to usually appear?

Also...I just noticed that I'm getting a brown film on some of the rock and the powerheads. It seemed to coincide with the rapid decay of the shrimp I added. Is this diatom growth?

If it is... is it safe to add some turbo snails or hermit crabs (reccomendations please)?

My ammonia is still coming up 0... Maybe today it'll be readable...

Are you doing the no sand method? I don't see any in the tank...or are you just curing the rock?

you have a dead shrimp and a live fish in there for several days and have not seen any ammonia? That is really odd. If it is still at 0, I would get a different test kit.

I have 2... I have a SeaChem Master Kit for Total and Free ammonia and a SeaChem Ammonia Alert (stick-on) . I wait 30 minutes and do both Total and Free... I guess I'll have to get a second opinion. MY LFS does free testing.

What about bacteria? Should I buy live bacteria or just let it work itself out?

You want your live rock to start doing the work...I just cant see why you arent seeing the ammonia spike, is there any way it could have spiked and came down already?and you may have missed it? Exactly how long ago did you add the shrimp? I had just two small dead shrimp in the 150 and the spike happened within 3 days, the smell was wonderful to attest to the fact.

Also...I just noticed that I'm getting a brown film on some of the rock and the powerheads. It seemed to coincide with the rapid decay of the shrimp I added. Is this diatom growth?
This brown slime means your tank is officially cycling. It will cover everything. But dont work it will go away, about time all the slime is gone you will know your cycle has been completed.
I have some purple growth on much of the rock...I'm assumng it's coraline algae..it seems spiny, like small coral or sponge...pretty cool though. How long does it take for the critters (Crabs, clams, corals, etc.) to usually appear?
Sounds like coralline to me. You will see new things on your rocks for years to come. I dont know how it does it, but I see things pop out of my live rock still and its 4 years old. One of the beauties of the hobby.
If it is... is it safe to add some turbo snails or hermit crabs (reccomendations please)?
I would hold off on snails, but I have used hermits during a cycle, they are pretty much bulletproof.
Just curing the rock for now. I will add sand after the rock is cured.
Why not add sand now? It will not effect the curing of the rock and infact you will be seeding your sand to make it live sand. Plus, you might as well it the sand storm out of the way now while you are cycling because your tank will be cloudy for a few days, then you will have to spend a few more days blowing the dust off the live rock.
What about bacteria? Should I buy live bacteria or just let it work itself out?
I have used TLC bacteria and I believe it speeds up the cycle process, however it is not nessecary.

I would also like to comment on the damsels. I think this is most common mistake people make when cycling. People feel they will like damsels because they are in such a hurry to see something swimming. I would say 90% of the people end up wishing they had not did this. Now this is not the case for everyone, you may love damsels, I know a few who do. But they normally end up just being a pain in the butt for the more beautiful fish you get down the line.

Back
Top Bottom