It's About Time to Get This Party Started.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
HARA - I added the Shrimp on Wednesday of last week. I guess It is possible I have missed the spike... I don't know I was testing every other day and the ammonia Alert stays in the tank so I look at it daily. I will test for Nitrites and have the water tested at my LFS for 2nd opinion.

MICHAEL: Okay. so... I will look into getting the Southdown... Hard to find in NJ.

I will get some Hermit Crabs...And as for the Damsels... They are coming out before the PRIZE fish will be added. Hope I don't have too much of a hard time catching them.

Hard to find in NJ

Check Home Depot. They are the main carriers for Southdown or Yardright playsand in NJ. In fact, you will find these in NJ HD's when you can't find it elsewhere.

Now here's another question. I found the sand at a home depot an di'm picking up 3 bags (150lb) enough for 4". I assume I need to rinse and clean the sand b4 putting it in...

Is the live sand that is sold in the LFS going to work as a seeding mechanism? I was going to put a few lbs on the top to get things going.

The other question: The residue I've been blowing off teh rocks has accumulated underneath and along side the rocks... Do I need to siphon that out? or does it even matter?

Now here's another question. I found the sand at a home depot an di'm picking up 3 bags (150lb) enough for 4". I assume I need to rinse and clean the sand b4 putting it in...

You don't have to rinse it, I do by placing in a 5 gal bucket 1 bag at a time and rinsing until clear water runs over the lip. Some would say this is overkill and that you want the silt or cloudiness. It is your choice.. the cloudiness will go away in a few days and all will be well.

Is the live sand that is sold in the LFS going to work as a seeding mechanism? I was going to put a few lbs on the top to get things going.

If the LFS has sand out of a working tank, then yes it would be benificail. If it is just out of a bag, then no.. The LR will help it become live after a few weeks or so..

The other question: The residue I've been blowing off teh rocks has accumulated underneath and along side the rocks... Do I need to siphon that out? or does it even matter?

I wouldn't worry about it..

Quote:

You don't have to rinse it, I do by placing in a 5 gal bucket 1 bag at a time and rinsing until clear water runs over the lip. Some would say this is overkill and that you want the silt or cloudiness. It is your choice.. the cloudiness will go away in a few days and all will be well.
I would not rinse the sand. The small grains or so called "silt" is good for a working live DSB.

How was the LR from marindepot I was thinking about purchasing some from them considering it's free shipping
How did it come out?????

First of all.. HARA: You hit the nail on the head. I missed the Ammonia spike even though I had two testing methods. Go Figure... I tested for Nitrite and have about .4 PPM (Seachem Test). So... my understanding is that there was enough bacteria in the rock already to knock down the ammonia.

I added the sand, created on heck of a cloud, which has settled (see pic) and now...I will be saying goodbye to one of my yellowtail damsels. He was pale this morning....

Question: Can I now do a water change? I was waiting for the ammonia spike (as per HARA's suggestion) and now that I'm in the nitrite stage...I'm looking for suggestions...do I change now...or wait till the nitrites get higher? I don't want to jeopardize the strengh of the bacteria colonies.

Question 2: Is it too early to add a few hermit crabs?

Almost done... I'll be adding a couple of pounds of LS from an established system today.

MAGYK - It's too early to tell I guess...it's been less than 2 weeks... but... I got great pieces...There was growth quickly... I had it overnighted... Now..be careful, I paid shipping. It was included in the cost...it saved me about $40-$50 from Foster & Smith's www.liveaquaria.com .... I mean....I hope this helps...but like I said...it's been less than 2 weeks..

I hate to disappoint, but you cant do your water change yet :(
Just as the ammonia caused the ammonia eating bacteria to grow, the nitrite will cause a different good bacteria to grow. I know it sucks having to wait it all through. But you will be happy you did.
Opinions may differ on this, but I would wait to add crabs/snails etc until your nitrites are well on their way down, if not totally gone.

Okay all...well.. HARA: Ummm... too late on the crabs... I added them two days ago and the nitrite was about .4-.5Ppm ... I swear that this morning it was down to .1-.2 Ppm.... Weird... I can wait on the water change...no problem...

Today I'm also getting my water tested at the LFS... they do it for free, as a second opinion.

All is well now... I just cleaned the tank of dust and debris, adjusted the skimmer, and set back and watched...

NOW: Lighting... How long for the 10,000K and for the Actinics?

I do 12hr for actinic and 10 for my daylight. I use the new 20,000k Coralife bulbs.

My Nitrites are now Non-Existent. How long before I should do a water change and how much should I change?

This is a great thread! I'm seriously thinking about getting into a LR Reef Tank and of all the threads I've been following, this one seems to cover it all. Way to go guys.

I'll be back here once I have the tank, LR and equipment.

Norseman

I would do a 20% water change and then let it sit for another week and test it, then if all looks good, I would start slowly stocking fish...maybe 1 per week or two, testing to make sure the Nitrites stay at 0. Now your are at the fun part..hmmmm what to choose...

Norseman, why go? stick around and enjoy reading and prepare yourself...

ABTW, Welcome to Aquarium Advice..

well, That works out good... I am going on vacation for about 5 days so, I can change out the water now and test when I come back... I plan to stock even slower - 1 per 3 weeks or 1 per month. When I get back I will setup the quarantine tank and put a deposit on two Ocellaris Clowns.

Hey, Timbo2,

I'll still be here. I just won't have anything "useful" to say until I start setting up and stocking a tank. Then I'll probably have so many goofy questions, you guys are going to wish I didn't find your forum! :wink:

Back
Top Bottom