Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 12-12-2010, 08:04 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Just Purchased a 55gallon tank Long

Hey guys, i have been a salt water tank owner for over 4 or 5 years. I have always read up on this site to make sure what i am doing is right.

Well i recently purchased a 55 gallon tank.
As of right now all i have is the 55 gallon tank, the stand, and the wet/dry filter with bio balls. The tank is empty, and i actually spray painted the back the new tank yesterday.

Just Purchased T5s 4 x 54w .... with 216w of lights, what types of corals will i be limited to??

Dopey07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 10:12 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus
You are going to be limited to pretty mid light corals. Some really low light SPS are probably going to be the highest you can go. Some birdsnest, or pocillipora is about the limit, anything under that is fine.

Links to old builds:
12DX LED Build
Frag Tank (Fixed Link)
Dorm Pico Tank
Jimbo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 03:40 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Would he have to get MH in order to put the SPS corals on toward the bottom, or would a T5 6x54w work?

uscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 08:31 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
you can use 6 t-5s and keep sps, but it depends on the fixture. individual reflectors per bulb will increase the light output by up to 80%.
mr_X is offline   Reply With Quote

5 gallon, 55 gallon, long, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com