Keeping Feather Stars

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

deangmcn41

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I was wondering if anyone has had any long term success with any species of feather stars? I ( Dean McNutt owner of an lfs in southern Illinois ) Just got one in on a shipment I received from Seadwelling Creatures. The star came in healthy and intact, took the normal precautions acclimating it, and it seems to be eating well. I have been offering the starfish frozen mysis shrimp. I have looked in two different invert books and haven't found a picture that looks quite like the star we have. The sad part is most books agree that feather stars are very difficult to keep.
The star we have is a light olive green with black tips on the plumes. The star has about twenty or more legs. It doesn't seem to have hold fast legs that I have noticed on many of the stars in the books and it uses its feathery arms for locomotion. This one is definitely nocturnal. I would appreciate any responce from someone who has had any experience with these animals.

Try feeding zooplankton or phytoplankton, they are filter feeders and unless the food is chopped very fine, it will not be accepted. The reason for the difficulty is keeping up with the large amounts of food required and offering the right types. I would think you might have some sort of auto feeder to keep food in the water for it constantly, or have it on a tank with a huge established fuge.

Back
Top Bottom