Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-31-2004, 07:55 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Live Rock - cycle in existing tank - diatoms?

I replaced the entire tank with new liverocks.com rock and buried the existing sand with a new 1" layer of liverocks.com live sand. I was depending on the sump to handle the load.

For the most part, it took it pretty well. There was no measurable rise in Ammonia... but there was a solid increase in Nitrite. I tried to keep the 'trite under control with water changes.

It has been exactly 1 week and the 'trite level just fell. (I knew before measuring because all the feather dusters opened). My conclusion is that ammonia eating bacteria can increase their numbers more easily than Nitrite eating bacteria.

...but now I have golden diatoms. Even on the sandy bottom, the diatoms are coating everything. The logical conclusion is now Nitrates...but I have a lot of plant life that should be pulling that out. I'll do another couple of water changes.

I'm wondering if the diatoms will just decline away naturally or am I stuck with them for a while? Any suggestions?

Old 03-31-2004, 08:13 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
The logical conclusion is now Nitrates...
For diatoms I would look to an increase in silicates as well as nitrates

Once the silicates are burned up, it should die down.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2004, 08:54 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Silicates...

By what process do silicates accumulate? Bad water? Bad salt?
Old 03-31-2004, 09:09 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Usually it's in the water, tap water is a big contributor, but it will also pass through RO membranes, if I remember correctly, but DI should remove it or most of it. There is also the possibility that some dying organisms released them into the water, sponges are large removers of silicates, not sure if they would release them when they died.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cycle, diatom, diatoms, live, live rock, rock, sting, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com