Live sand and gravel?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TrippyButterfly

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am setting up a 120 gal that I bought used which had been in storage. It came with gravel (small grain, not the larger stuff you see that comes in those neon colors). Anyway, I'm cycling my tank and the girl at the store told me I can just add the live sand to the gravel. Is this a huge mistake? I'm wanting fish with coral and anemones ( don't remember the abbreviation for that lol).

A reef tank has fish, coral and inverts. I would not use the rock that came with the tank, I would just get all new sand. What else did the tank come with?

A canister filter, another filter that hangs off the side, two lights, thermometer, a couple of power heads, some decorative lights and a few air stones. Also, a timer and a good size air pump.
I think that it.

You should look up BRS TV on YouTube and watch all if thennk episodes of how to set up a saltwater aquarium. It will answer lots if you questions and get you excited about getting started.

Good choice on the size of tank you are starting with I wish I would have dine the same.

U don't want to use the airstones in sw it will make a big mess those are more for freshie tanks... What kind of lights do u have? I would ditch the gravel and get some new sand..

Most of the equipment that came with your tank is best used for freshwater tanks. If you want a saltwater tank you'll want to take out all of the freshwater gravel, rocks and decorations. I wouldn't use the HOB filter either. You can use the canister filter for chemical media like carbon, GFO, and or Purigen. The lights may just need new lamps but that depends on what kind of light fixture it is and what you intend to keep in the tank. If you want corals the lights will need to be very powerful.

The only thing in the tank is the gravel. The lights are Coralife 50/50. 6000k actinic 03
F20 T12 BP. I'm still undecided what I'm going to keep in the tank but eventually I want a reef tank.

You can buy these books the reef aquarium volume 3, the new marine aquarium, saltwater aquarium for dummies, animal planet saltwater aquarium. Research plan slow decide what fish want to keep and if u want corals inverts go to amazon for books on corals can't remember name. One thing a bout canister filter for a reef it has to be cleaned once a week can cause nitrate problem so do a sump good luck.

Throwing my vote in to ditch the gravel, air stone, and hob filter. Frankly, I probably wouldn't use the canister either but that's just me. I'm a big fan of the Berlin method using sand, rock, and a skimmer for filtration. With a 120, you should be able to stick a huge sump beneath it to hide heater, skimmer, etc., and it would make a great refugium for a remote deep sand bed and macro algae. Oh... I drool for a 120 with at least a 55 gallon sump...
Liveaquaria also has some good articles on setting up. Or browse the forum to read about the process some of our own members have gone through. Maybe even learn from our mistakes! And above all, enjoy!!!

Ok... Finally scooped out the gravel and saved some of the sand. The whole time I felt like going back to that store and yelling at that girl for telling me it was ok to mix the two. Now, back to square one. I guess it wouldn't be a true saltwater experience if I didn't make a few mistakes.

Back
Top Bottom