Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-08-2012, 01:29 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Its been a couple of months (maybe 7 mo.) since I started doing some research, planning to gathering materials and finally cycling the tank. It took me at least 6wks to cycle the tank because I was only using base rock and it felt like it was longer than that cause you sit in front of the tank and nothing was moving lol!! As soon as my tank was cycled I started put clownfish and he survived I thought something was wrong with him for the first few days because he was just swimming on one side of the tank and then got comfy and feels like he rules the tank now. What else can I add to my tank? What I have n my 55 gal right now are

1 clownfish
1 baby yellow tang
1 flame angel
1 turbo snail
1 red hermit

Any advice/thought/opinions are welcome

love this hobby and its addicting lol!!

Old 10-08-2012, 03:00 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

A pair of clowns always looks good.. Just make sure its either bigger or smaller because they will do their mating thing to determine which one is more dominant. This is def interesting to watch. Orange spot watchman goby def helps clean the sand if thats what u have for a substrate. Skunk cleaner shrimp and firefish. Do you plan on making this a reef tank or just a FOWLR

Old 10-08-2012, 03:35 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Def going to get cleaner shrimp and watchman goby next week can't wait lol!!!

As of now I don't have any corals yet because I'm still saving up for the lights. I'm looking into buying LED lights cause I think they're the best in the market but Not sure if I'd get 4 par38 or 2 taotronics fixtures.
Old 10-08-2012, 07:06 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

Just be careful with the flame angel, some ppl i have talked to said they have nipped at their corals and others told me they neva had a problem.
I dont kno to much about the lighting, i been trying to do my research on what fixture to get. I may go with the T5's since the leds are so expensive.
Old 10-08-2012, 08:48 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by daney90 View Post
It took me at least 6wks to cycle the tank because I was only using base rock and it felt like it was longer than that cause you sit in front of the tank and nothing was moving lol!!

love this hobby and its addicting lol!!
Did the same thing! I caught myself staring at the base rock and sand (not live) and wondering wait what am I doing there's not even anything alive in here! It is truly addicting...too bad it's so expensive too!

I would say a purple firefish, but they are docile and it might get harassed by the dwarf angel. Oh you should get a pistol shrimp! That symbiotic relationship between the pistol and the watchman...priceless! A midas blenny would add great movement and character to your tank, but you already have a yellow fish...hmm..some type of goby would be nice.

- Winston Churchill
obscurereef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:23 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightryder1405
Just be careful with the flame angel, some ppl i have talked to said they have nipped at their corals and others told me they neva had a problem.
I dont kno to much about the lighting, i been trying to do my research on what fixture to get. I may go with the T5's since the leds are so expensive.
LEDs maybe expensive.. Been doing research too and seems like LEDs will save you more bucks in the long run. You don't have to replace anything for a good 4 years while t5s u need to keep replacing bulbs every 8 months.
Old 10-08-2012, 11:28 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I also have a 55 reef w/ 4bulb t5. Right now I have a pair of clowns and 3 chromis. I'm still workin on the stock since my budget is very low (hs senior). I would love getting a yellow tang, but they grow too big for a 55 so just make sure you have a plan when it outgrows your tank.
Old 10-09-2012, 12:32 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake337
I also have a 55 reef w/ 4bulb t5. Right now I have a pair of clowns and 3 chromis. I'm still workin on the stock since my budget is very low (hs senior). I would love getting a yellow tang, but they grow too big for a 55 so just make sure you have a plan when it outgrows your tank.
I understand you 100% cause I'm a student too lol!!! Just gotta plan for everything to avoid costly mistakes
Old 10-09-2012, 12:40 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

LEDs look like the way to go for sure.

I'm still doing research to though .-.
Old 10-09-2012, 01:14 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Can anyone help me? What's is this on my rocks? Not sure what they are.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-38020843.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	184.5 KB
ID:	123746

Tags
55 gallon, build, reef, reef build

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com