My 1st 55 gal reef build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Animal-Chin said:
Daney that brown stuff is diatom algae and every new tank gets it. The good news is every tank gets rid of it naturally too! Itll be around for a month or so. You can remove it by squirting ot with a turkey baster and letting your filter remove it but itll come back until the silicates in your sand are gone, thats what it eats. Just hang in there and soon enough it will dissapear. New tank stuff. Oh and its not harmfull to fish and hardly anything eats it so dont stress trying to find a clean up crew to munch it down...

Ok thanks. I think im just paranoid with these stuff cause most people gets it around wks 3-5 and my tank has been running for almost 2 months now with the fish(not including the cycling process) if its diatoms, is it gonna found on just the rocks?

on the bright side... :) my clean up crew are busy doing their job. 2 days ago One astrea made a treacherous journey to the rocks to clean it and til now he's still there :)

The diatoms will most likely cover the sand and glass too. They feed off of silicates so either the silicates are coming from your source water (if it's not 0 TDS, you're feeding the diatoms) or your sand. Just a tip to clean the glass often so the snails target the rocks instead of the glass. Manual removal helps too :)

I'm using ro water with 7stage filter that I bought 3 months ago but i don't have tds meter so I don't know if its 0

For filtration I only have my NWB150 octo reef skimmer. I don't have fuge though cause I don't have that space under my tank. Do I need to have something else besides the skimmer?

Just a quick update on my tank :) my fishes are all looking good so far. I'm feeding them brine shrimp, nori and omega pellets. As for my rocks I've noticed some purplish colour n it. Could this be a start of coraline algae? :)

So far so good no more diatoms on my rocks :D I love me snails lol!!! They're like bulldozers lol!! I'm seeing more greenish and purplish colour on my rocks. I hope this is coraline :D

image-2782385106.jpg

I'm not really sure if its hard but it kinda looks soft to me that I can just brush it off. If this is red algae I'm not sure what's causing it.

I had one of the cheap eBay RO fixtures and I was getting the red algae real bad the entire time I was using it. Went back to the water from the vending machine cut two hours off of my light cycle and changed from using BRS GFO to Kents marine GFO in my reactors and three days later all of the algae was gone. I'm not sure what of the three changes fix my issue or all three did but it worked. What is you light cycle?

Right now the lights that I'm using are those lights the comes with a lid. So I'm guessing they're really weak and I have them on for 10 hrs.

Try cutting them back an hour or so. I am running my blues for 9 hours and the white come on a hour acer the blue and off an hour before.

Back
Top Bottom