Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-19-2011, 08:09 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Back to the topic of the hawkfish, they are notorious for sneaking up on feather dusters and eating them.

Old 08-19-2011, 08:13 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I am using the API tap water filter (I think this is DI) and it shows 0 nitrates coming out. I also use about 50% water I get from the water filtration thing we have where I work (not sure what type of filter, but it tests 0 nitrates). So far I did one 50% water change, and I'm going to do one every week or two until it gets to 5-10ppm. Any opinion on if I can do more that 50% to speed up the process? That's just what the LFS guy told me to do. And he said he could get me some plants to help out (not sure what kind, will find out next time I drop in).

Old 08-19-2011, 08:18 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

50% is probably the maximum about of water change you can do with fish in the tank. I haven't heard anything about any plants helping with nitrates.
Old 08-19-2011, 08:23 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Macro algae can help reduce nitrates, I have a bunch in my refugium in my sump. They consume the trates.
Old 08-19-2011, 08:23 PM   #15

but since I only have 3 super-hardy damsels that cost $3.99 a piece...unless it would affect my live rock and bacteria population to change more? Here's an interesting link on the topic - I was considering trying this: How to Reduce or Lower Highly Toxic Nitrates in Your Saltwater Aquarium Quickly & Efficiently
Old 08-19-2011, 08:25 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Oh yeah, i was trying to picture a tree or ferns in a SW tank LOL. I know that aquacon.com sells macroalgea.
Old 08-19-2011, 08:25 PM   #17

I don't have a refugium or a sump, and he knows that so I think he meant put the plants directly in the tank. Yeah, he actually said if the plants grow too much I can always get a yellow tang to take care of them (but I'm worried about tangs' ich-y reputation).
Old 08-19-2011, 08:26 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

You can treat ick in a Quarantine tank, do you have one? I would highly recommend one.
Old 08-19-2011, 08:28 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Putting a yellow tang would be a huge mistake in my opinion. They need like a 6 foot tank to be happy in. Anything smaller and they can stress and fall ill.

They make some ornamental macroalgae as well.

Check out ReefCleaners.org | Clean Up Crews and Macro Algae. theyhave a huge selection and if you email them with your info they can reccomend some nice macro.
Old 08-19-2011, 08:31 PM   #20

I have a 20 gal QT I just set up a week ago. I think it's good to go for a few new fish because I used a HOB filter that I had on the 55 gal and put in some rocks and sand from it. I threw in a few raw shrimp when I set it up a week ago and the ammonia hasn't even registered, so I think my biofilter is strong enough for a few fish, would you agree?

Tags
stocking

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com