New Clown I got

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Branew

Aquarium Advice Regular
On Monday I got the most beautiful clown I ever saw. I am told it is a Vanuatu Tomato Clown.

I have some questions on its behavior...

When I get home from work he is always swimming around normally but at night he goes to a specific top corner and just hovers there facing up. When I wake up I check on him and find him in a different specific corner.

He always eats and actually comes out of the corner to eat and then goes back. He has no spots or torn fins or anything like that. I did notice a small bit of waste hanging fror his body.

Is this behavior I should worry about?

Here are some pics....

10037948ad.jpg

10037972de.jpg

10038057ex.jpg

What are your parameters?
Looking at your other tank inhabitants, he could be skiddish or intimidated. Are the other fish chasing him?

Branew said:
but at night he goes to a specific top corner and just hovers there facing up. When I wake up I check on him and find him in a different specific corner.
Do you mean once the light are off or just in general, later in the evening? Fish are "sensitive" if you will to the time of day and will seek shelter closer to when they are accustom to darkness coming on. Most will always go to the same spot they are familiar with and "bed down". If there is no/little tank mate aggression as Fluff points out, I would be more incline to think this a natural reaction to the time of day...

I did notice a small bit of waste hanging fror his body.
Please describe this in more detail... Stringy, white or pale in color, is the clowns belly bloated at all or sunken in? Anything else you can add?

Cheers
Steve

Fluff said:
What are your parameters?
Looking at your other tank inhabitants, he could be skiddish or intimidated. Are the other fish chasing him?

I'll get parameters tomorrow. I did a water change the Friday before the Monday i bought him and tested it Sunday and all was good.

When I put him in tank for 1st time the Trigger was very interested and I thought he was gonna take a chunk out of him. As the Trigger followed him I netted the Trigger and just held the net against the glass for about 30 seconds and then let the Trigger go. He hasnt gone by the clown since...lol

I have been watching him alot today since I was home from work and he seems to be getting more active and swimming.

The behavior of going to a corner is while lights are on. It looks exactly like the 1st picture....he hovers just like that.

The waste was extremely small and more of a brownish color. I know that stringy waste is a sign of a problem so I wanted to point it out.

Branew said:
The behavior of going to a corner is while lights are on. It looks exactly like the 1st picture....he hovers just like that.
Look much like to me it's with the actinics on only? Not full light? If so, this is "bedding down" behavior really.

The waste was extremely small and more of a brownish color. I know that stringy waste is a sign of a problem so I wanted to point it out.
Keep a close eye on that. If the color of the feces begins to fade or the size/length increases, it could be a sign of a worm problem. Food should be the same color coming out as it went in.

Try adding garlic to the foods daily for the next week and see if anything changes.

Cheers
Steve

I have an actinic light and a regular flourecent both. The area trhe clown is at in the picture is just below the actinic bulb and that is why is seems so blue.

No more "stringy" waste so everything seems to be OK. The clown eats regulary.

I do believe there is bedding down behavior going on but I do also think the Trigger is showing some dominance. The Trigger kinda "pushes" the clown where he wants him by hovering near the clown. The clown does swim around but I hope the Trigger accepts the clown as I would like to see it swim alot more.

Back
Top Bottom