new sump setup help!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
yep. that will work well, except it will be a tight fit for a skimmer. 30x12x12 is the outside diameter, correct? with the plastic border on top, what does the inside measure? just make sure you can fit the skimmer you are wanting.

Yes assuming I make enough room for my equipment the lay should be fine? I have seen same layout reversed with the traps on skimmer..does make difference?
Thanks by the way on everyone input

well, i was taught to have the bubble trap before the return....but i guess it shouldn't matter if no bubbles are getting to the return pump. yep. i would use that sump.

Thanks I will re measure try fit the equipment I want.. And if dont fit worst case I can just remove the last divider closest to the return pump correct?

well, the idea of the bubble trap is to force the water downward, and as that is going on, the bubbles are supposed to float to the top. in theory, removing the last partition should work.
i don't even install that last partition you have pictured on my sumps, and haven't had trouble with micro bubbles returning to the display, but i don't normally use strong return pumps either.

here is a 55 gallon tank i made into a sump. note the 3 partitions-
img_1172799_0_e80fcf8a0c08d504d3a7320e39f4fb1c.jpg

in operation-
img_1172799_1_24a216a5bb85df08bd9a95026d46ef68.jpg

X, is that salt buildup on the top and bottom or am I dizzy. LOL
Nice layout....

That makes sense.. I will attempt that wit out the last divider..appreciate the help and photo

X, is that salt buildup on the top and bottom or am I dizzy. LOL
Nice layout....
ha...yes. salt creep from the skimmer. it's on the back wall too. if you look closely, you can see the piece of clear plastic i slid behind the skimmer to stop it from messing up the sheet rock. i'm not sure what i can do about it, but it's a sump. it's not supposed to be pretty....just functional. :drinking:

so using this design as my sump where would i put my heater at..in the fuge? and what happens when water evaporates? should glass divider number 2 be lower than divider 1 to be able to tell how much water to top off with?

Attachments

• sump1.jpg
    sump1.jpg
    4.3 KB · Views: 182
i make partition 1 and 2 the same height. all of your evaporation is seen in the return area only. i use a couple cd cases or something similar to hold partition 3 up while the silicone is curing.

i use multiple small heaters for a system instead of one large one, and put them at different locations in the system. the reasoning behind this is if one fails, the others will prevent a major catastrophe. heaters can and will fail to work, or get stuck in the on position. if one of the smaller heaters does this, it's not going to drop temp quickly, or heat up quickly, depending on the situation.
for instance, in the tank at the gym around the corner, i use 3 heaters. two are in the intake where the skimmer is, and one is up in the display. i like to put one in the display, incase the return pump fails. if that happens and i'm not there for a few days to catch it, the display won't lose all heat devices.

So no matter where I put my heater at in my sump the evaporation will show in the return section?

The location of the heater does not make a difference in that specific chamber. I have my return pump on a stand in the sump which makes the pump sit near the top. In case of an overflow box failure the pump will only move the allowed water into the DT. In my experience external overflow boxes fail because air is built up due to the return pump not being strong enough.

i don't know what's worse, mopping up a few gallons of water, or purchasing a 100 dollar pump. i think i'd rather drill the tank and not do either.

If I was to drill my tank is it just one hole and attach a connector with a hose to my sump..does some one more information or link with pictures on to what this looks like or some steps..

I dont have a problem drilling the hole..its just where and what do I do with the hole afterwards?

Back
Top Bottom