New Tank - Cycling, but confused ...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

atif

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm setting up my first ever salt water setup- here are the specifics:
30G built into a wall
Wet & Dry with built in skimmer
Live sand
No LR yet
Used Cycle stuff to help the system ...
Have 2 damsels happily swimming about
Been cycling for 5 weeks.

This is the state of play and why I'm confused!
Using the classic test tube a solutions I have measured:
1. Ammonia levels reached 0.5 ppm last week and today = 0
2. Nitrites 0
3. Nitrates 0
Using Mardel test strips over the weekend:
1. Ammonia = 0
2. Nitrites = 0
3. Nitrates = 20ppm

PH is 8.1 constant

I have also noticed that I have a bunch of Brown Algae over the sand and some temporary dead coral ... pictures can be found @:
http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ah_mail

Questions:
1. The above results seem weird ... right? has the tank cycled or out my test strips telling fibs?
2. What of the Brown Algae, any suggestion on how to control it?
3. When should I add LR? I was told to hold off otherwise the algae will attack it?
Thanks for any advice ...

1. The above results seem weird ... right? has the tank cycled or out my test strips telling fibs?

IMO, both sets of tests show the tank to have cycled. Cycling is done when both ammonia and nitrite have reached 0.

2. What of the Brown Algae, any suggestion on how to control it?

The algae in question appears to be diatoms. They are a naural part of the tanks progression and will eventually level off. One of the best methods of control are snails. Turbos, astreas, trochus etc..

3. When should I add LR? I was told to hold off otherwise the algae will attack it?

No matter when you add your LR algae will grow on it. I would have encouraged you to add it when you set up the tank, it would have cycled your tank for you and been a source of nitrification and denitrification. Most of the algae can be controlled easily with the use of a skimmer, nutrient control and a clean up crew ;)

Thanks for the quick reply :)

... additionally do you recommend that I do a partial water change before I add the LR? I'm gonna add the LR this week. So far I have done not Partial Water changes.

additionally do you recommend that I do a partial water change before I add the LR?

I don't think it makes too much difference. The rock should cause the tank to cycle again unless it is cured, if it is uncured, you should remove the fish, or cure it in another container.

Back
Top Bottom