Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-20-2004, 05:23 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

OMG! another newbie "has my tank cycled already" q

Sorry it seems very easy to worry you ain't doing something right with this hobby, I feel more so as I've never kept a fish tank before.

Right, below (hopefully) is my readings from my tank over the past 7 days, it seems afwully quick for a cycle, but my LR to water ratio is 1½lb per gallon which most people on here seems to think is good?

Date..........13.07....14.07....15.07....16.07.... 17.07....18.07....19.07....20.07

Salt.............NT......1.025....1.026....1.025.. ..1.025....1.025....1.025....1.026

PH...............NT.........8.........7.85......7.85 .....7.88......7.87......7.94........8.03

Ammonia.....NT........0.5.........1.........0.5... ....0.5.......0.25........0.............0

Nitrites........NT........0.5.........NT.........5 ..........5...........5.........0.25.........0

Nitrates.......NT.........10.........NT........NT. ........NT.........NT.........20........20

NT= Not Tested

So by rights I /seem/ to think my tank has cycled? The LFS I trust (no pushy selling, lots of advice & no:1 rule of take it slowly) is closed tomorrow so I'm gonna see him thursday & ask him to test a water sample to be sure. I added 3 raw tiger prawns on 13th as well as the LR, sine then not touched the tank apart from changing to a hana tester for PH

I'm using the Aquarium Pharamaceuticals saltwater master liquid kit for my testing & the AM test goes straight from 0 to 0.25 on the scale, which seems a big jump? is there a better company or kit for Am/nitrite/nitrates?

Cheers Shelton.

30gal tank, 20kgs Fiji + 4kgs Madagascan LR, bare bottom, 2 x Maxijets 900, AquaC Remora skimmer, 10W D&D UV using a spraybar on surface for return,Maxijet 600 + spraybar behind LR, Ecco 2234 running RowaPhos/GAC, 150w visitherm.
Custom Built lid; 2 x T5 megatwin (4x39W Aquablue+); 4 moonlights.

IKS with temp & PH probes, controlling lights,heat & cooling fans.

Percula Clown; Banggai Cardinal; Firefish; Mandarin
2 Cleaner Shrimps; 3 Peppermint Shrimps; 1 Blood Shrimp
1 Large Feather Duster; 1 Hard Tube Coco Worm; Yellow Cucumber.
6 Red Legged Hermits; 1 Green Emerald Crab; 16 Dwarf Blue Leg Hermits; 3 Zebra Hermits; 3 Popsock Hermits
22 Turbo/Astrae Snails; 20 IO Snails
Shultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 08:47 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

You got Nitrates......It has cycled.

The Salt is a bit high IMHO.

Old 07-21-2004, 12:54 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

just add alil fresh water and bring your salt down a bit 1.024 is what most will recommend...im keeping mine at about 1.023 right now

wait a couple of days and test then add a clean up crew if your parameters are still good

30lbs base rock
6lbs Brazilian LR
35lbs sand (20lbs of lfs ls i think it cycled my tank faster)

3 blueleg hermits
4 turbo snails
royal gramma
gold stripped maroon clown
crage34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 03:41 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

OK, I have a freshwater bucket with an air pipe in it atm, I'll add that lunchtime to cover the evap I'll see what that makes my salt level.

In a couple of days time when I'm sure am I better adding 1 fish first so I have a source of ammonia & then adding the cleanup crew a few days later?

Cheers Shelton.
30gal tank, 20kgs Fiji + 4kgs Madagascan LR, bare bottom, 2 x Maxijets 900, AquaC Remora skimmer, 10W D&D UV using a spraybar on surface for return,Maxijet 600 + spraybar behind LR, Ecco 2234 running RowaPhos/GAC, 150w visitherm.

6 Red Legged Hermits; 1 Green Emerald Crab; 16 Dwarf Blue Leg Hermits; 3 Zebra Hermits; 3 Popsock Hermits
Old 07-21-2004, 07:58 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

I would agree with you on fish first. The clean up folks need something to clean up I suppose. I didn't add any clean up folks for several weeks, not until I was getting some algae and had a couple fish in the tank for a couple weeks. Don't know if it is correct but it what I did.
Old 07-21-2004, 08:55 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Normally the cycle takes a lot longer, and by the time it's done the tank looks like a jungle. So that's why you usually hear of cleanup crews going in first. But if there's no algae then obviously no point in putting them in.

BTW, adding the freshwater to cover evaporation won't alter the normal salinity. You have to remove the saltwater and replace it with freshwater.

Click HERE to vote for Aquarium Advice!
Atari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2004, 03:42 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atari
Normally the cycle takes a lot longer, and by the time it's done the tank looks like a jungle. So that's why you usually hear of cleanup crews going in first. But if there's no algae then obviously no point in putting them in.

BTW, adding the freshwater to cover evaporation won't alter the normal salinity. You have to remove the saltwater and replace it with freshwater.
Cheers to all for the info!!

Hehehehe, thanks Atari, I thought about that afterwards... I'm going to the LFS today so I'll see what he has to say & I've been making a salt mix up overnight for the "big" first water change (8gal from a 30 gal tank?) & I've made it a lower salt level to bring it down

Cheers Shelton.

Old 07-22-2004, 11:12 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via ICQ to jackdp
FWIW...I keep my tank at a specific gravity of about 1.025. NSW is around 1.026 and most corals and inverts seem to do better there.
Old 07-22-2004, 12:03 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

According to my book NSW is around 1.023.. I guess it depends where in the world the water is.

Having said that I also keep mine around 1.025 for no other reason than that's what my LFS has their tanks at.

Click HERE to vote for Aquarium Advice!
Atari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2004, 02:38 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Right, did the big water change (25%) this afternoon after cycling has finished & when I've tested tonight amm= 0% Nitri= 0% but Nitra = 10-15% does it take a while to settle, or do I need to do another water change, if so how much?

Cheers Shelton.

Tags
cycle, cycled, led, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com