Please Help Me Save My New Corals!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

New2reef

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi! I started a 125 reef tank about 3 months ago. I started with a GSP and blue mushroom rock and later added a toadstool leather and hairy mushroom. My GSP has stopped growing and only about 1/4 opens. My blue mushrooms have shrunk considerably. Leather and hairy m are doing great. I have

Lighting 2 54 watt actinic white, 3 actinic blue
Ph 8.2
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0
Phosphate 0
Alk. 2.58 meq
Calcium 500

I have 5 Astraea snails and 1 bluebell snail. No fish yet. Wanted to wait until 6 months. Not feeding any supplements, but have enough filament algae to keep snails happy.

Any suggestions?
Sad sad newB

I personally dont think your lighting is intense enough. What type lighting do you have. I have VHO`s and have 4 160 watt bulbs on my 125 and I still only have moderate lighting. That would be my concern.

Last edited:
How's that alk reading compared to the last several weeks of readings? It is a bit on the low side imo. When I was having alk issues, all of my coral, including softies, did exactly as you are describing.

Lighting also seems a bit skimpy on the white side, but I will let someone else comment on that.

EDIT: Never mind, looks as if Melosu picked up on that and ninja'd me :)

Should I move both or just the mushroom? I moved my power head closer to the green star polyp earlier today. Should I move it back? Thank you

All of those corals are pretty much indestructable just put them on the lower part of your tank and low flow and you will see them pop , make sure your dosing also !

Back
Top Bottom