Started new tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dewey

Aquarium Advice Freak
Heres where im at two days ago i started new tank. First day i put water in tank heated to 78. The next day i added salt into water i let mix for one day. Im ready to ad Live sand and sand .Im going to do that tonight. Heres the problem i wanted to get live rock in there two.But the LFS is out till next wednesday. Is this going to be a big problem with cycling?

Thanks Dewey

Dewey,
Welcome to aquariumadvice.com! When cycling it will take a little longer you wanna wait for the LR and LS to cure. it will take about a month or two for this to happen. buy a saltwater test kit so you can test your water levels for ammonia, nitrate, nitrite, and PH. Once they are 0's stock slowly.

live sand doesnt need like rock for both to cure.. they wil ldo that themself. rock does take about a month.. and i agree with gooyferret to stock slowly and to get a test kit. you could buy cured rock but a lot of times pet stores say it is but it really isnt.. so just be careful for that.. just keep testing your water.. at around 3 weeks you should be able to add some damsels..

I had LS in my tank for a few days before i put my LR in. Like the above posts said, it won't hurt anything, just put it in when the LFS gets it and wait (be patient!) untill the tank levels are normal. The rock shjould be cured if the the levels are normal and if it doesn't smell bad(uncured LR will actually smell bad). The one thing i have learned in this hobby is to never rush anything and to be patient. HTH!

Back
Top Bottom