Tank Cycle - Stalled, In-Progress or Complete?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Boulder

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am wondering about my cycle ... since I established biological filtration using cured live rock bought from my local LFS, will my tank actually go through a true cycle?

My LFS recommended I feed the tank with pinch size portions of fish food (they gave me a specific kind and specific amount per day) versus using a raw shrimp as my ammonia source. In a matter of days, I saw a small increase in ammonia and nitrites and both now register zero. My nitrates are just above the bottom yellow on the API comparison card.

So has my cycle possibly stalled or could it have cycled that quickly (live rock has been in 13 days but I only started providing an ammonia source 6 days ago).

It sounds like the cycle is complete. If you had enough cured LR, the biofilter could have had a little spike. I would say you are probably good to go. I would add 1 fish and check the levels. If you see ammonia, get ready for some PWCs, but I think you should be ok.

If you used cured LR then you probably would not see much of a cycle. It almost sounds like your cycle is done if you used cured LR. Do your water test and post the results. If everything is 0 then do a PWC and add a starter fish and then you dont need to add flake or shrimp to feed the nitrifying bacteria.

Great!

The water has remained crystal clear throughout the cycling process - I suppose that is a good sign? Also, it doesn't look like any of the LR hitch-hikers have died off either. I've been checking water parameters every evening and will so again when I get home and I'll post the results.

A fellow hogs fan I'm impressed, you in AR? Which LFS are you using?

Were in Fayetteville - what about you? As far as LFS in this part of the state we like ...

• 'Worlds Underwater' in Fayetteville
• 'Saltwater Depot' in Bentonville
• 'Exotic Tropicals' in Rogers

Whoo Pig Sooie!

I'm in Arkadelphia (about 30 minutes out of Hot Springs) going to Henderson here in town and pretty much the only LFS around here is Marine Land in Hot Springs but luckily it's a good one. I'll have to look out for you at the next hogs game I make my way up there for.

Back
Top Bottom