Tank Cycling (repost from Fish only thread)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Raker333

Aquarium Advice Activist
(Note to moderator; just reposted here in case some folks don't look in Fish only section,delete either but leave one please :)

When I first started this tank the level were:

Nitrate = 0
Nitrite = 0
Ammonia = 0
PH =higher than 8.6
alk =high
SG = -1.0265

These where the reading after I let my tank run with nothing in it for 3 days.

Now, 1.5 weeks later and with the addition of live rock w/ 4 days time in tank

my levels are looking odd (To me)

Nitrate = 5.0
Nitrite = .5
Ammonia = .25
PH = 8.4
alk = 2.9
SG = -1.0235

Ammonnia is down from day 2 with LR in tank
Is this normal?
Do I wait until levels are at 0 for trites,Trates and Ammonia before doing a 50% water change?

This is a 29g tank and only thing in it is LR with a baby Feather duster (Hitchhiker on LR)

Thanks for the help guys

Raker

Raker

The tank is still cycling. Water change isn't really needed yet. That would just prolong the cycling. Give it time. Your ammonia should slowly drop to 0 then nitrites and finally nitrates. But for some nitrates never go to 0 so shoot for 0 - 10 ppm.

Don't do the 50 percent water change it will take all of your good bacteria out. Keep testing until your levels are good. Also, don't run the skimmer while you are cycling.

The reason there was a spike in your levels was the adding of LR. Most of the time there is die off from LR when it is shipped or picked up and so on. Because of the rock being out of water some things die. Once you add it into water it washes off and causes a spike in your tank. Thats why you are supposed to cure LR before putting into a established tank. Yours on the other hand is still new. This normal and is just helping the cycling prosses. Also dont do a 50 percent water change like konrade said. I only did a 20 percent way back when my tank was done cycling and everything was fine. HTH

Back
Top Bottom