Thinking of trying my hand at Saltwater.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Beengirl said:
That rabbitfish is beautiful!! :) Is he a little skinny? Or is that just the camera angle?

Thanks! It very well could be... These fish weren't being taken care of at all when I picked them up so I wouldn't doubt they weren't feeding them. When I asked what she was feeding them she said tropical fish flakes from Walmart but didnt have any to send with them. Any ideas on fattening him up? I have been feeding brine, seaweed & NLS.... It's such a pig when I feed too lol, I'm always afraid I'm over feeding. Should I feed twice a day instead of once? When I first got them the rabbit fish was pure white, didnt have any yellow or blue, it's really gotten beautiful colors since bringing t home & appears slightly bigger. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Decided I will feed twice today and gave a morning feeding of brine. The Star was excited for breakfast ;D

Attachments

• image-2807423523.jpg
    image-2807423523.jpg
    190.4 KB · Views: 96
  • image-1616949713.jpg
    image-1616949713.jpg
    226.5 KB · Views: 79
  • image-4035089151.jpg
    image-4035089151.jpg
    210.5 KB · Views: 81
Yeah, I knew you haven't had him long, but he is beautiful. That's sad they weren't feeding him. :( My understanding is that brine doesn't have a Lot of nutritional value. PE mysis is better from what I hear. Brine can be fed as a "treat". The other two foods you have sound good though. :)

Beengirl said:
Yeah, I knew you haven't had him long, but he is beautiful. That's sad they weren't feeding him. :( My understanding is that brine doesn't have a Lot of nutritional value. PE mysis is better from what I hear. Brine can be fed as a "treat". The other two foods you have sound good though. :)

Ok, I'll pick up some mysis :) what does PE mean? Sorry if that's a silly question lol. I was meaning to ask what I should feed, I had all that stuff here for my Cichlids already :) I go into town on Sundays so I will get some yummy foods then :) so does twice a day sound good? Or should I stick with once?

AndrewsPistol said:
Ok, I'll pick up some mysis :) what does PE mean? Sorry if that's a silly question lol. I was meaning to ask what I should feed, I had all that stuff here for my Cichlids already :) I go into town on Sundays so I will get some yummy foods then :) so does twice a day sound good? Or should I stick with once?

Since he's so skinny, I would keep up with the twice daily til he gains some weight. I think the PE is a type of mysis, not exactly sure what it stands for. Some mysis say PE on it, some don't. I've heard the PE is better. It's about $6 for a package of 25 cubes, and they're much bigger than brine, so should help fill up your fish better. :)

Beengirl said:
Since he's so skinny, I would keep up with the twice daily til he gains some weight. I think the PE is a type of mysis, not exactly sure what it stands for. Some mysis say PE on it, some don't. I've heard the PE is better. It's about $6 for a package of 25 cubes, and they're much bigger than brine, so should help fill up your fish better. :)

Yay! Thanks for all the help! Can't wait for him to get fat & happy!

AndrewsPistol said:
Yay! Thanks for all the help! Can't wait for him to get fat & happy!

Yeah, that'll be great! You'll have to post new pics when he fattens up!! :)

Well had my first catastrophe.

Came hime from work to find my kids had dumped SOMETHING in the tank :( My husband hasn't the slightest clue what it could have been. My mushrooms have shrunk, there was a "film" across the top of the water too. I immediately did a 30g wc with water that I had made. I don't have anymore RO water made up. My salinity is a tad high at 1.028. I'm so freakin sad :( I want to change more water but I can't. Should I just use some tap? I really don't know what to do right now. Fish are swimming and acting fine. AND then while all this is going down my husband for some unknown reason decides he wants to tinker with the plumbing and busts a piece off. I could wring his neck right now for 2 reasons, 1) not paying attention 2) f'n with things he don't need to be f'd with. Sucks the first time I involve him in fish maintenance and he goes breaking my stuff.... Leaves a very nasty taste in my mouth!

I had a horrible day at work today and even had to stay 2 hours later than scheduled & then I come home to this. I'm mentally exhausted right now :'(

Wow! that sux. So sorry to hear about your troubles. That's a bad day. I hope none of it causes any long term problems with the tank.

Eeks that's def the epitomy of a bad day. Hope you got a good nights sleep and today is better. I have been using tap water in my 12g nano with no problems per say. Corals and fish are fine but I am investing in Ro water now that I am setting up 54g.

Beengirl said:
Wow! that sux. So sorry to hear about your troubles. That's a bad day. I hope none of it causes any long term problems with the tank.

I hope it doesn't either, everyone is acting normal today, water appears to look better, just hoping my mushrooms open back up.

Spicemonkey said:
Eeks that's def the epitomy of a bad day. Hope you got a good nights sleep and today is better. I have been using tap water in my 12g nano with no problems per say. Corals and fish are fine but I am investing in Ro water now that I am setting up 54g.

That's great news! Think I may shoot for a 50% change today with tap just to be safe.

And life is still throwing me curve balls :( woke up this morning and my cat was attacked by a coyote or something :( his jaw is most def broke. I took him to the vet at 8am and he is having surgery to have his jaw wired back into place. I feel terrible. He looks like a zombie cat :/ I was supposed to buy my light today from a member here on a AA but I don't think I can afford it this week now that I will have to pay a vet bill. Hopefully they will hold it for another week for me.

Ugh.

I hope it doesn't either, everyone is acting normal today, water appears to look better, just hoping my mushrooms open back up.

That's great news! Think I may shoot for a 50% change today with tap just to be safe.

And life is still throwing me curve balls :( woke up this morning and my cat was attacked by a coyote or something :( his jaw is most def broke. I took him to the vet at 8am and he is having surgery to have his jaw wired back into place. I feel terrible. He looks like a zombie cat :/ I was supposed to buy my light today from a member here on a AA but I don't think I can afford it this week now that I will have to pay a vet bill. Hopefully they will hold it for another week for me.

Ugh.

I hope your cat pulls through okay. That's far worse than the plumbing. (At least PVC doesn't feel pain.) :ermm:

Don't worry too much about the lighting, given all else that's piled on you.:flowers:

AndrewsPistol said:

Ugh.

Omg I hope you're cat is okay!!! I can't imagine what that must feel like.. I just had my cat spayed and I couldn't stand the site of her all loopy n in pain :(

Thanks everyone, I hope he'll be ok too. It was a super scary sight. His jaw was sideways and he couldn't close his mouth. I guess it's just something I have to deal with living in the country. Coyotes & Porcupines SUCK! Fortunately my dogs haven't had a run in with a Porcupine in the last 2 years, guess they learned the first time they got "quilled". Oh yea... Forgot to include skunks. They suck pretty bad too lol.

Did a 50% wc with tap. Everyone is a little stressed, they still aren't used to wc's like my other fish yet. Mushrooms still aren't coming out like they were. Off to work I go... Hopefully everything will look ok in the morning.

Beengirl said:
It looks really great!! You did such a fabulous job cleaning that tank up! :)

Thank u so much! It really means alot to hear such kind words after all the work I put into it :)

Kitty is home, already looking better :) glad he's gonna pull through! My kids would have been devastated, and so would I. I love the lil bugger! He can't really open the one eye still probably from all the swelling.

Attachments

• image-1786315533.jpg
    image-1786315533.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 106
AndrewsPistol said:
Thank u so much! It really means alot to hear such kind words after all the work I put into it :)

Kitty is home, already looking better :) glad he's gonna pull through! My kids would have been devastated, and so would I. I love the lil bugger! He can't really open the one eye still probably from all the swelling.

Awwwww!!!! Poor little baby!! Hope he heals up quick for you. :)

Beengirl said:
Awwwww!!!! Poor little baby!! Hope he heals up quick for you. :)

He's a tough dude! I'm so happy they got him cleaned up! It looked soooo much worse before... His little jaw had to be wired so he is refusing to eat or drink anything at the moment.

Good news is my husband says the mushrooms got "kinda big" today haha. Not quite as they were tho I guess ( I was at work all day and didnt really get to see them before the lights went off) water is very clear and i put fresh carbon in with the last wc to try to remove whatever got put in. Can't wait to get some good frozen foods this weekend! I've been nursing a coral that came with the tank that I thought was dead and I feel is starting to come back as I can see the tips of them opening up some and some hairlike things coming out of one. When I touch the shell it's anchored to they close up real tight so I know it's hanging on to life, so I hope the contaminant didnt do them in! I may be picking up this rock with star polyps on it from a guy on Craigslist for $30. They are in a 8 pound rock. I'm excited to get them just hope my lights can support it!

Attachments

• image-3678076818.jpg
    image-3678076818.jpg
    162.8 KB · Views: 80
Back
Top Bottom