Thinking of trying my hand at Saltwater.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
DanS180 said:
I'm glad to see your cat is doing okay now!

Me too ;)

Well all mushrooms seem to be acting normal except one :( guess I'd rather lose one than all but sad because the one that is looking bad was my biggest one.

AndrewsPistol said:
Me too ;)

Well all mushrooms seem to be acting normal except one :( guess I'd rather lose one than all but sad because the one that is looking bad was my biggest one.

Hopefully it is only upset and will recover. And the kitty... Poor poor kitty! I hope she gets to feeling good soon.

Did your husband and kids learn their lesson of not messing with mom's tank? My kids learned real fast not to mess with the fish tanks! (They also had a bad habit of making hot wheels fly... That stopped REAL fast! LOL!) And my husband likes the tanks, and will feed the fish if I need him to, but they are my hobby so he just sits back and tells me they look pretty. :)

Spicemonkey said:
Awe such a lil baby too maybe consider keeping inside(at least sy night) glad your tank is ok too

Actually today the tank looked AMAZING!!! Mushrooms looked pretty good today :D I was worried using tap to do a wc would also upset the mushrooms but they actually look pretty happy ;)

Something is murdering my hermits tho... I've found 3 dead ones since I've adopted the tank :/

He is an indoor cat. My husband has a shop in the back where he repairs & paints cars & motorcycles and stuff. I usually work till 10pm - 12am everyday (I work @ a bar & grill) and sometimes while I'm at work my husband takes the kids out to the garage while he works on stuff. My daughter just got the cat for her birthday in September and carries it everywhere. She brought it out and apparently forgot to bring it in ( or thought it was ok?? cuz sometimes we leave the dogs in the garage @ night) well when I got home I noticed the tank was looking funky and immediately did a wc... Took me till like 2:30am... I didn't think to check for the cat :( anyway idk how it got left outside. Sucks but he is healing up ok.

Got a new shell today for my giant hermit but now that I get home I realize that it's pretty much the same size :/ maybe a tad bigger... And I had to get it out if the hermit habitat at the lfs... Will boiling it make it safe to add to my aquarium??

Also picked up some Mysis :) the fish love it!

I'm afraid this big hermit is guilty of murdering all my other hermits :( found 2 more dead today.... I can't find anyone to take him or these damsels. I talked to my LFS who doesn't want the hermit and said that if I bring him the Damsels he is going to put them in with a Volitan Lion and wait for them to die and won't give me credit for them either. I tried posting an ad on CL for them and in the classifieds section of this forum & no one wants them. Idk what to do with them and I really want Clowns but my LFS said I can't stock really anything until the Damsels are gone...

So how many snails & hermits should I have for a 75g tank? I'm down to 7 hermits & 3-5 snails (snails are also diminishing) was thinking about getting another star since I can't have hermits or snails without them getting killed. Thoughts?

AndrewsPistol said:
Got a new shell today for my giant hermit but now that I get home I realize that it's pretty much the same size :/ maybe a tad bigger... And I had to get it out if the hermit habitat at the lfs... Will boiling it make it safe to add to my aquarium??

Also picked up some Mysis :) the fish love it!

I'm afraid this big hermit is guilty of murdering all my other hermits :( found 2 more dead today.... I can't find anyone to take him or these damsels. I talked to my LFS who doesn't want the hermit and said that if I bring him the Damsels he is going to put them in with a Volitan Lion and wait for them to die and won't give me credit for them either. I tried posting an ad on CL for them and in the classifieds section of this forum & no one wants them. Idk what to do with them and I really want Clowns but my LFS said I can't stock really anything until the Damsels are gone...

So how many snails & hermits should I have for a 75g tank? I'm down to 7 hermits & 3-5 snails (snails are also diminishing) was thinking about getting another star since I can't have hermits or snails without them getting killed. Thoughts?

Put the shell in water and bring up to a boil for about 5 min, then let cool and tips it in. That's what I do with all my shells, and no problems. Hopefully the hermit will move into the new shell and stop killing everybody. He might just be looking for a new home. My snails die off periodically too, not sure if its a hermit, the pistol, or just that they die. I've read that for my 55g, I should have 65 snails (assorted) and about 30 hermits. I do not have even close to that, but I do have about 20 Nassarius, 20-ish astrea/banded trochus, 2 conch, and only about 10 or so hermits left. I've bought many more than this, but they tend to disappear. :(
I saw some of my baby Nassarius today. :D My Nassarius laid thousands of eggs about a month or so ago, and some actually hatched!! :) They are so itty bitty, it's just funny. I could see the babies, small ones and full sized ones all next to each other, quite the size difference. The babies are about 1/6th the size of my pinky nail!! Lol

AndrewsPistol said:
Has anyone had any experience with this test kit? Thinking about getting it so I have an all in one kit for sw & my fw tanks...

http://www.petco.com/product/112561/NutraFin-Master-Aquarium-Test-Kit.aspx?cm_mmc=CSEMGoogleAdExtProd-_-Fish-_-NutraFin-_-1288695&mr:trackingCode=C6497931-E68B-DF11-BC8B-0019B9C043EB&mr:referralID=NA&mr:adType=pla&mr:ad=26560833115&mr:keyword=&mr:match=&mr:filter=51515438635

My hermit took right to the new shell, I was surprised that it only took him like 5 minutes to decide he liked it better than his other shell lol :)

Haven't tried that test kit, sorry. Yea!! I'm glad he likes his new shell!! :D Hopefully he'll stop murdering everyone now!! Let us know!

Who wants to take a guess at what this is??? It's definitely coming back to life! It opens & closes and is starting to get little hairs on the edges :)

Attachments

• image-1624255839.jpg
    image-1624255839.jpg
    168.1 KB · Views: 85
AndrewsPistol said:
Who wants to take a guess at what this is??? It's definitely coming back to life! It opens & closes and is starting to get little hairs on the edges :)

My first guess is some type of paly maybe?.. or a candy cane?... kinda hard to tell

My first guess is some type of paly maybe?.. or a candy cane?... kinda hard to tell

I think they are palythoas. I don't see much in the way of skeleton that you'd see with a candycane. The color also leads me to think paly. I'd expect a bleached candycane to be white, where I had some "volunteer" palys that came up as off white, quickly turned the brown in the pic, and eventually green and copper.

Rutrag said:
I think they are palythoas. I don't see much in the way of skeleton that you'd see with a candycane. The color also leads me to think paly. I'd expect a bleached candycane to be white, where I had some "volunteer" palys that came up as off white, quickly turned the brown in the pic, and eventually green and copper.

Yeah paly was my first choice lol candy cane was just a back up answer haha

Yay! Look what came today!!! Super happy girl :):)

Also I am starting to have a serious dislike for BRS and them dang packing peanuts!!! Toooo manyyyyy!!!!

Attachments

• image-2578781633.jpg
    image-2578781633.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 69
AndrewsPistol said:
Just googled palys! What a cool little bonus :) how do I care for it? Anything special I should do?

Nope, they're a pretty hardy coral.. medium/low light, medium/low flow, just keep up with regular tank parameters maintenance and they should do just fine :)

DanS180 said:
Nope, they're a pretty hardy coral.. medium/low light, medium/low flow, just keep up with regular tank parameters maintenance and they should do just fine :)

Good deal! Can't wait till I can get them to open fully!

Yay! Look what came today!!! Super happy girl :):)

Also I am starting to have a serious dislike for BRS and them dang packing peanuts!!! Toooo manyyyyy!!!!

Did you get it on their Black Friday special? I saw that was listed. I bought the same one about a year ago. I think it's the best deal you can find on a refractometer anywhere.

Just remember that the packing peanuts kept it from getting broken by UPS or the post office. I know that they're annoying when they get everywhere. I think shredded paper is worse. I used to work for a retail store where the shipements were always packed in shredded paper from the distribution center. That stuff went EVERYWHERE! The yahoos who ran the company were too cheap to buy us vacuum cleaners to boot.

Back
Top Bottom