up grading to 220g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sillyfishy

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am Up grading from a 55 gallon FOWLR (I think most of the live rock is dead) to a 220 gallon, My 55 is stock with 7 small fish and only run by a wet/dry and a whisper filter. It has been set up for about 2 1/2 years. This time I will have much better lighting and a nice tank with built in overflow. Later Down the road I would like to try corals and other things, What is the best way to filer such a huge tank? Thanks Lisa and fish

How large is your wet/dry? Most of the people on this site will use a sump with live rock rubble instead of bio-balls for filtration. The "dead live rock" you have can be reincarnated, also. You can get a Rubbermaid tub and cycle it on its own with regular water changes,and also a protein skimmer(if you have one). You might want to clean it off first using a brush, to get all the nasty stuff off it. You will definitely need a good protein skimmer, especially for a reef tank.

the wet/dry is only build for a 55g so that will be up graded too along with the sump thats in there. my husband want to build one. He's a plumber so hes good at that stuff. we thought we would use the bio balls we have now and buy more to and to it. Then we thought of buying a canister filter and a protein skimmer big enough for a 220. any other ideas or brands you recommend?

YOu should look at building a skimmer if your hubby is a plumber I'm sure he could swing it. There are some nice plans around for DIY ones and you could have a nice custom one that will be beefy enough for your tank.

With a tank that large, I would definitely go with a sump. You will also want a decent skimmer (rated for 300-400 gal.) as some manufacturers overa rate their products. LR is great for biological filtration (330lbs - 480lbs.). I would not recommend a canister filter on a tank this large.
Filtration should be around 2200 gph in turnover.
Built in overflow is the way to go on a tank this large. Good thinking.

Mike

Back
Top Bottom