what does a green serpent star eat?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

prisoner1572

Aquarium Advice Regular
would it hunt out a live fish and it eat?
I had two firefish gobies that just dissappeared without any trace.

would it hunt out a live fish and it eat?

Yep green/Emerald serpent stars are known fish predators, kinda ingenius the way they do it, I mean who would think a slow clumsy serpent star could catch a fish...

I had two firefish gobies that just dissappeared without any trace.

Could very well be the work of the serpent star, but it could just as easily have been something else, without an eyewitness to the crime, you can't be certain. What else is in the tank? LR? LS?

I was just wondering something, does everyone's LFS put a big WARNING: FISH PREDATOR on their holding tanks with these guys? Mine does, but I have a feeling that many don't and I can't understand why? :?

the same store i bought the star from later said i had to feed it, and they were selling it with snails and hermit crabs as a cleaner crew.

There is one at my LFS that I love - He eats pieces of shrimp out of your hand! I saw it for the first time tonight..

Mine also eats shrimp out of your hand. I keep a bag of giant shrimp in the freezer (only 'seafood' that's cheap in Texas!) and, every couple of days cut a quarter inch chunk (sheel included) off of one, give it 5 seconds in the microwave and then hand feed it to the star. He comes out of hiding when I feed the other fish and it's fascinating to watch him feed - he 'probes' around my finger for the shrimp and than snatches it and 'folds' it under him into his mouth! Really cool. He's also great at vacuuming up the bits of nori that the yellow tang spreads around the tank when he's feeding!

my serpent ate my prize feather duster from hawaii, and i saw it! he wrapped one of his legs around it and pulled it out then took it in the rocks. i was not going to touch him. had my son grab it the next day {it took hrs} and out he went. the month i had him, 8) he was great at clean up.

Back
Top Bottom