120g build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Usually PFS is much cheaper. That is why most people like it better.

with the PFS can u use a gravel vac to clean it? if not how do you clean the sand? im settin up a 75 gal and i an debating between sand or regular gravel

Yes you can use a gravel vac to clean it. Just have to be careful because it will suck the sand right up and out of the tank if you stick it in too far. It takes some finesse but you'll get the hang of it. Well worth it over gravel.

BTW, I am very jealous. Not only did you find white PFS (I've only been able to find brown) you get a 120 gallon and a finished basement. I bought our house 3 years ago and it was our first house so I kind of "settled" but I am now looking for one with a full basement (I can finish it if not done) so that I can have huge fish tanks and not worry about the wife and kid bouncing around and shaking the tanks. I just fear for the day one of my 75 gallon tanks bursts or something because they can't control themselves. Looks awesome though. Can't wait to see some more pics when the fish move it etc. GREAT JOB!!!

ive never had any issues sucking sand out with my python. I shove mine down in the sand all the way to clean it real good and never suck any out. I recommend nothing but pfs

Never had an issue with sucking sand out with my python either, great looking tank so far cant wait to see more !!!

BTW, I am very jealous. Not only did you find white PFS (I've only been able to find brown) you get a 120 gallon and a finished basement. I bought our house 3 years ago and it was our first house so I kind of "settled" but I am now looking for one with a full basement (I can finish it if not done) so that I can have huge fish tanks and not worry about the wife and kid bouncing around and shaking the tanks. I just fear for the day one of my 75 gallon tanks bursts or something because they can't control themselves. Looks awesome though. Can't wait to see some more pics when the fish move it etc. GREAT JOB!!!

I found it at a pool/spa store a few blocks from our house. If I could ship you some I would. This stuff looks great :)

The 120g I had to give my fiance the puppy dog eyes for and talk him into byt telling him the catfish need more room *lol*

The finished basement was here. I moved into his house :) I just tend to errrmm expand outwards *lol*

I do, because i like black sand and pfs is not black.

We have black sand in 2 tanks. I like the looks of it, but it is much lighter than the pool sand so can get sucked up if I'm not paying attention. However, the 3M black color quartz that you recommended to me is working great in our 80 BW tank. I went with the T grade so it's big enough to clean with the gravel vac easily but doesn't get sucked up like the black sand. I almost went with the S grade but thought if I do that, might as well get more black sand :)

as of today

Here's some pics now that we've added some of the first inhabitants. One of our crayfish and our swarm of giant danios. A few plants for color. And yeah, the zebra rock is weighing down the manzanita, takes forever for that stuff to water log.

Attachments

• 120g4.jpg
    120g4.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 44
  • 120g5.jpg
    120g5.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 57
  • 120g6.jpg
    120g6.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 52
  • 120g7.jpg
    120g7.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 56

Yeah we both really liked those pieces and had to snatch them up. Just wishing they would sink already so we can get rid of the rocks.

What are the two cords hanging in the back (heaters). Once the tank is running, will you move them to the sump?

Back
Top Bottom