55 gal set-up and cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
jen31972 said:
How's this for a community in a very well-filtered 55 gal tank:

5 ghost or red cherry shrimp (maybe 10?)
5 albino corys
6 neon tetra
6 lemon tetra
1 male Betta
2 upside down catfish
A few moss balls

I'm personally not familiar with Betta compatibility in a community tank, so I'll leave that to others...but the rest looks good :)

Btw...you can virtually have 1000 RCS in there if you wanted, they have tiny bio-loads. I think your Betta may consider them a snack though. I have a ton of them in my 46 gallon, but they stay hidden in the java moss for the most part. I only see them walking on the substrate or hanging out on the driftwood in the morning when I turn on my light. I think they're scared to death of my Bolivian Ram.

*Amano Shrimp are much larger and fantastic algae eaters. They may be something to consider ;-)

I have seen bettas in community tanks but if u have any nippy fish at all the betta will
Be the first pick! Lol also some bettas can be mean... I think u Can make it work :D Welcome to AA :)

So from what I'm seeing out on the net you can put them in a community tank but need to keep them away from brightly colored fish and fish with long fins.

I would say start with that. Than see..
IMO stocking is never complete u will keep changing things over time.

Did u look into Puntius denisonii (Red-line Torpedo Barb) ;)

Heera said:
I would say start with that. Than see..
IMO stocking is never complete u will keep changing things over time.

Did u look into Puntius denisonii (Red-line Torpedo Barb) ;)

Definitely check out redlines! They rock but go for around 30 bucks a piece and liketi school so they can get expensive but they'd e worth it

Attachments

• image-692553049.jpg
    image-692553049.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 100
[QUOTE="Heera"
Did u look into Puntius denisonii (Red-line Torpedo Barb) ;)[/QUOTE]

I did and they are spectacular! My son has his heart set on neons but I'll definitely think about those. Thanks for the rec!

You guys rock! Thanks so much for welcoming me and giving me so much help. It's been truly delightful.

Hopefully I can start set-up today and tomorrow and will share pics. This is all so much more fun with you all to share it with.

My filters arrived! Yay!

PetsMart is having a sale on backgrounds. $.57 a foot. I got the 48" I need but it's not tall enough. Going back for another 48" and will layer them. With careful planning, I should be able to match up the plants.

I also picked up the ammo alert thingys.

Hey neons are great!! Have u seen the cardinals ?? They are even better :) oh and there is also a blue tetra that is pretty cool!!! Congrats on your tank :) to me it's kinda like when all your gfs start having babies... Now I want one!!! Lol ( I have 6 tanks) lol

zparticle said:
Isn't your tank a standard height for 55g? The BG I got fit perfectly, although I got it at Petco.

There were two different heights of bg available and it looks like I got the shorter of the two. I went back and picked up 48" of the taller one. Now I have extra bg for another tank already,lol! (my hubby wouldn't like that-buy he'll get converted.)

Yes, online. I want to visit my LFS and check them out. The more I read the more everything is making sense. And I'm starting to keep the names and profiles straight now, too. :)

Tank set up except for bubble wand. Pics and details to come tomorrow! Yay! The waters pretty cold so I'll start with the ammonia tomorrow too. Whew. Time for bed. :)

Pics!

So I set up my 55 gal DT with:
(2) AquaClear 70 filters (so I have both backup and eventually an extra seeded filter)
(2) Won submersible heaters 100 W each (Is this enough?) Again so i have back-up
A mercury thermometer
An ammo tab

Black gravel substrate with some dark blue for an accent. Silk and plastic plants and a few "logs".

Haven't added the bubble bar. Will do that next and add the ammonia to start a fishless cycle. (I need to take baseline chemistry numbers first.)

My son has a 5 gal cycled tank. Can I take the grey gunk which I assume is BB) and put it in my tank? Should I squeeze out his filter in my water?

I'm ordering an active filter from AnglesPlus later, too.

So here are the pics: Love feedback, comments, advice etc.

(until I figure out how to get pics posted, here is a link to the Picasa Web Album)

https://picasaweb.google.com/107997133756781871330/Aquarium?authkey=Gv1sRgCMmfoazAxIPlLw

started ammo

Oops. :eek: 1 spilling capful of the Ace brand janitorial ammonia is waaaay too much. Reads 8.0ppm at least. Doing a 50% PWC.

Back
Top Bottom